Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

searing setup

Options
I am wanting to cook some steaks. I would like to do the reverse sear. I have read about the spider but don't have one. I am curious, does anyone sear eight the grate in stock setup (i.e. grate on the fire ring)? I would love to hear about/ see your searing setups. Thanks!
When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Cave man is fun. Roast then pull plate setter, let it rip and go right to the coals. I usually load up the lump, go cast iron grate, ps, stainless then after the roast pull ps and stainless the cast iron is warm and 10-15 mins its wicked hot for the sear. Caveman is cool to because There are no flare ups because you are cutting off oxygen at the point of contact.

Good fire for the sear. This has a small grate just tossed on the coals.image

Caveman style

Regular height grid

• onesaxplayer
    Options
    I am familiar with searing on coals from Adam Perry Lang's book Charred and Scruffed, though i have never done it. How long on coals and how often to flip. Lang doesn't roast then sear, he sears one side and flips sears other side and flips and so forth until temp is reached all while brushing steaks with a brush made of herbs. He then slices steak on cutting board laying each piece in evo and salt and pepper as well as the chopped dried pieces of herb from the brush he used. Not sure i have the guts to try his method. Waaaaay too much work for something that could go wrong really fast...
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

If you are interested in doing it caveman style sometime, this video is pretty helpful and reassuring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDTcHFLP7Y

Interestingly, things don't tend to go wrong any faster with this method than they do with any other because as @U_tarded mentioned, the meat lying right on the coal deprives it of oxygen after the initial sear which probably lasts about 30-60 seconds. 

The best steak I've ever eaten was the cavemen prime T-bone that I cooked with my son while camping.  My wife says the best steak she has ever had was a filet mignon I did for her caveman-style a few days later.  It's worth doing especially when you have guests as it makes for good conversation. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX