Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Keep or Pitch? FIre went out overnight

F me..  threw a shoulder on last night and at about 11:30PM it was stabilized at about 250 grid level and the shoulder was about 70 or less degrees.  I wake up this morning and dome level is 158 and shoulder is 158.  I got it started back up but am wondering whether to pitch or keep?  it's for a party today.

thoughts?

·

Comments

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 671
    It's fine. That's a safe temp - if it didn't dump below 140 you are good to go. Cook on. Good save.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,538
    +1

Don't give it another thought...you were above the danger zone.  Technically you were still cooking, just very slowly.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • nealcr1nealcr1 Posts: 179
    Keep it. I had the same thing happen to me and all was good.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
    ·
  • flemsterflemster Posts: 258
    keep on keeping on.  Have had the same thing happen
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
    ·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    As everyone is saying, this is not an issue at all.  At 158, you will be fine.  

Go open a beer and welcome the day.
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575

thanks for the input.. ended up dropping to 152-154ish before I got it back up and running and then it stalled for a bit.. 170 and rising now.

thanks- I couldn't remember what tem the danger zone really was

·

so bark looks great and shoulder is approaching 200 already... not eating til 4ish and was hoping to plan this out to finish around noon and foil/towel/cooler it for a few hours.. I guess I start that process shortly..  maybe I will shred after 4 hours or so.. I don't think it will hold in a cooler for 6 hours

·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 671
    Smallest cooler you can fit it into or pack as many towels and blankets as you can and you will be fine.
    ·
  • XLBalco said:

so bark looks great and shoulder is approaching 200 already... not eating til 4ish and was hoping to plan this out to finish around noon and foil/towel/cooler it for a few hours.. I guess I start that process shortly..  maybe I will shred after 4 hours or so.. I don't think it will hold in a cooler for 6 hours

it will hold for 6 hours and even more if you need it. You are golden. Lots of towels. It will still be piping hot in 6 hrs.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    Could not help but think of Top Gun...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • CrispyCrispy Posts: 12
    Had the same thing happen to me, and left in cooler for 6 hours. meat was still too hot to handle bare handed and i didnt pull until 15 minutes before it was time to serve.
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,370
    It was still 158,nothing wrong with it.  If anything you have a super slow cook.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·

thanks for the advice... yea it definitely stayed hot in the cooler for 6 hours or so and was still hot enough that I couldn't handle the meat closest to the bone...  only slight issue I would say is the part of the char did dry out some... the meat was still moist though and wasn't any left at the end of the day! 

·