Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Friday Night Butt

Throwing on a butt when I get home. Going to do this one low and slow and chilax Saturday away. Pics to follow. 225ish, injecting.

One question. Using a controller and eggware cap, just shut the cap about up like I would with DW.

@cazzy
@fred19flintstone
Get ready! Might be a crazy night ;)

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,350
    It would be far too easy for a man of my talents to point out that one might want to break out the KY for some Friday night butt.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,149
    Yes to the cap question
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,768
    If the damn rain would ever let up I might get my butt and brisket on...
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,340
    hapster said:
    If the damn rain would ever let up I might get my butt and brisket on...
    I hear you.  I did one last weekend.  I had to wait over 20 minutes for the rain to calm down to just a steady rain to retrieve it from the grill.  Thankfully, butts are forgiving and a couple extra degrees didn't matter.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,553
    I found the cap tricky, I think pretty much shut will out you at 225. Let us know, I had a small crack but it shot to 275 who knows...
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,029
    I just got the butts on. A two pack from SAMs. Looks like 8lbs each or so. Rubbed with bad Byron's and Alabama butt. No injection. Got home a lot later than wanted to. Have a maverick in for protection and the partyQ is going at 210. Sorry, no pics. This was rushed. Gotta go to bed. Hopefully the butts won't wake me up ;)

Didn't try the cap tonight. Zero rain and I'm whooped from driving.

·
    Everything's riding fine. Just realized I forgot to set the maverick alarms befor I went to bed. Oops. Stuck hard on 210.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,461
    Lookin good MCN

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·

Lookin good MCN

Thanks man. Went low and slow this time because I had some errands to do this morning. Hoping for good results when I get home. It look stupid good an the smell was amazing when I left the hoise

·
    Hope the payoff is good when you get home!

Enjoy!
    ·
    PartyQ is running on low bat so since I'm home I just took it off. The sun isn't cooperating with my iPhone pics but we are siting around 160 on one but and 177 on the other. Not tender yet. Took partyQ off and opens up the egg to get to 270-280

·
    I might foil the left butt. It looks to be coming out of stall. The right butt hasn't hit it yet. Only got 8 coming for supper so both dont have to be done.

·
    Nice butts

And the pics look fine
    ·
    Foiled one
    IT is 183, egg is 297 grate. Shut the vent a little.

·

·
    MCN you know what my recommendation is...... Open that thing up and let it eat some lump!!

·
    @mattman3696

Haha I know I know. This is where we are. Eating at 6, the higher but is foiled. The other one is naked and just left overs.

·
    The butt we ate was 210 for around 13 hours and then 290 foiled from 177 until FTC'd at 203 for one hour. It was extremely jucy and super tender. The other butt is still FTC'd. It stayed naked on the egg until 200, the bark was great.

My only complaint about foiling is the bark is gone. You get the flavor from the rub but it is soggy and weaker than the naked butt.

Happy guest = Success

·

·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,270
    Look at that smoke ring!!! =P~ Nicely executed, sir!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·

The butt we ate was 210 for around 13 hours and then 290 foiled from 177 until FTC'd at 203 for one hour. It was extremely jucy and super tender. The other butt is still FTC'd. It stayed naked on the egg until 200, the bark was great.

My only complaint about foiling is the bark is gone. You get the flavor from the rub but it is soggy and weaker than the naked butt.

Happy guest = Success

All the more reason for nitro and minimal rest. Haha. It still looks good and very edible. We all have to resort to low & slow every once in and while.

Just razzing you dude

:D

·