Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Firebox

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I made the most delicious Greek pizzas on the Egg this weekend, both Friday night and Saturday. using high heat (500 degrees) and thin firebricks topped with pizza stone. As I cleaned out the ash on Sunday, I noticed that there's a verticle crack in the firebox that runs all the way up the front. How concerned should I be? I've had my large BGE for just over a year, and am totally and completely delighted with it. I did look in the Archives, but kept getting the Not Found message.
Thanks in advance,
Gretl

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Gretl,
    Mine has the same type crack in the same place. Not a concern. It is covered by the BGE Lifetime Warranty should you opt to have it replaced.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gretl,
    Mine has 3 and one is where yours is. I can still remove the firebox - which I do once a year or less (or when you add the stainless steel vent) so don't be concerned at all. As JJ said, BGE stands behind them. [p]Tim

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    Tim M,
    Don't you have to remove your firebox to get the ash that falls through the firebox holes rather than the grate. This ash is between the firebox and inside wall. My egg is a month old and there was a lot of it already that I can't reach with the ash tool. Thanks, Billy

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Billy, reach as far as you can..the rest you miss is incidental to the operation of the pot...I have been meaning to send BGE a note to put flex joints in those handles and make em longer so you can either push the stuff around or reach back to the middle..Like Roto Rooter...:-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]