Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Whole Pork Loin - Delicious! (with Pics and Temps)

JLGougeonJLGougeon Posts: 16
I tried my first whole pork loin, 4.3 lbs., and it was a big winner with the family.  Brought the Egg up to 350 with a raised rack.  Once the loin reached room temperature I covered it with a 50/50 mix of canola and olive oils.  Then I generously seasoned it with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.  It went on the Egg, direct but elevated, for 45 minutes.  At 45 minutes I "made the turn" and flipped it, also tossing some cherrywood chips on the coals.  It went another 35 minutes until it reached an internal temp of 162.  I would have pulled it earlier but SWMBO doesn't like any pink in her pork!  Let it rest for 15-20 minutes (while the corn on the cob cooked) and served it up.  I never knew pork loin could be so moist and tasty!imageimageimage
Cheers!
John
XLBGE and Weber Silver "C"
Pork.JPG 40.8K
Pork1.JPG 35.8K
Pork2.JPG 43.4K
·

Comments

• Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 920
    Nice looking cook, congrats.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 895
    That looks GREAT! is that a raised rack, I thought raised rack meant above the felt. I'm new to all of this... Looks yummy!
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 920
    I consider raised rack anything above the fire ring, usually at or above the felt. In this case this does not appear to be raised. @JLGougeon, how was this raised/elevated?

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Rotate your photos before posting.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • JLGougeonJLGougeon Posts: 16
    For clarification: I took the first pic on the lower rack.  I realized it was WAY TOO CLOSE to the coals and raised it immediately after.  I use two brick pavers set on their sides with a cast iron grill piece from my Weber Silver C balanced on top for my raised grill.  It works great and it didn't require any real work to assemble!
    Cheers!
    John
    XLBGE and Weber Silver "C"
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,588
    Nice Job Johnny, that looks fantastic.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·