Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked Whiz Table Weight

Options
Hi, planning to build a LBGE table using white oak and the Naked Whiz plans.  My wife is afraid that it will be too heavy to move with just two wheels and I'm afraid of "over-engineering" by adding four casters.

Any comments on which way to go?  Thanks...

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    I have 4 casters. works fine. just get 4 or 5 inch makes it easier.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have 5" (I think, maybe they're 4") on all four legs.  Harbor freight cast iron castors with molded rubber tires.  Cast iron is very rust resistant - the reason they used it for plumbing for years.   My table is fairly heavy.  The move it like buttuh.

Options
    I'm only using 2 casters like the plan suggests.  It's manageable, but the table is definitely heavy.  I don't really move mine much, so it's not a big deal, but I think if I were planning on moving it all the time I might opt for 4.
    Southern California
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Well, it won't blow away in a hurricane, at least.  Two things to be aware of are 1) make sure you put the wheels on the Egg end of the table. Should be obvious.  It will be obvious if you don't, the first time that you try to move it, lol.  2) If you are going to have it on a wood deck, I put nylon thingys (you know, big nylon button with a nail sticking out so you can hammer onto the end of a chair leg, etc.) on the other legs.  That end of the table will slide on the wood so you don't have to lift the end when you move it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You mean won't "roll" away in a hurricane ;)  Everything outside that isn't a fixture I don't bring in the house or shop I strap or tie down to something.  Seriously though, if you have a small space like a deck like mine and you have to "parallel" park it, 4 swivel castors makes it EZ.
    Options
    I put 2 "tractor" tires on mine from Harbor Freight. I wish I would have put 2 more on the other side to aide in the moving. I have to go through grass is the reason I didn't use casters. I will be adding 2 shortly.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    Nola, what kind of wood did you use for your table?  It's beautiful!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Botch said:
    Nola, what kind of wood did you use for your table?  It's beautiful!  
    Recycled old growth pecky swamp cypress.  Pain in the ass - had to fill in all the cavities with resin, but very durable and purdy.  Found a guy on craigs list with a big supply of it and bought everything he had.  About $2 board foot.  He'd been collecting cypress for some renovations for years and didn't use the pecky.