Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork cook for a party, Please help me experts.

Options
Tomorrow night I'm planning to cook two pork butts for some pulled pork for a lunch party on Saturday. But, here's my question? The butts are not the same size one is 4.5lbs and one is 7lbs. Should I start the 7lbs first and add the 4lb two hrs after I put the 7lb on? Or just start them both at the same time and then FTC the 4lb for a longer time when it's done?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I would do them at the same time, and monitor the temp of the smaller one.  When it is done use a probe to check the other one and see if it needs more time.  The first one done will stay very warm in an ice chest for a surprisingly long time.

Alternately, it always seems the top tier butts finish first.  You could rig the bigger one higher in the dome than the smaller one.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I once cooked a 5 lb butt and two 2.5 lb butts, same egg, same time, same temp. They finished at the same time. Butts sometimes have minds of their own. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    edited July 2013
    Options
    What they both said. We cook 2,3 or 4 all at the same time monitoring the thinnest/smallest. Then check each when the first is ready and if more than one still needs more time put the probe in the next closest to ready and repeat. You might be surprised at how close they are.
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Options
    Ok, thank you all. Will post pics tomorrow night and Saturday once complete.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I would put them on at the same time- wood chips/chunks are hard to add later. You can FTC for a good while if the small one finishes first
    Greensboro, NC
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    I put em all in at the same time and let the Cyber Q monitor there temps

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser