Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Spatchcock Chicken - First Attempt

Last night I tried my hand at a spatchcock chicken.  Threw on some olive oil, then rubbed the skin and the meat beneath with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.  I stabilized the temperature at 400, tossed in a handful of cherrywood chips and cooked it direct for about an hour.  It came out pretty fantastic.  The only thing I might do differently next time is try a raised grate because I've seen that technique suggested here and elsewhere for spatchcock chickens.  Anyone happen to know what the benefit of raising the grate for a spatchcock would be?  Does it alter cooking time or the moisture of the meat?  Also--and this question isn't specific to spatchcock chickens--after I had the egg stabilized at 400 for a while and dropped the chicken in, the temperature went down to about 325.  That didn't surprise me; I was expecting a temperature drop.  But while the temp did climb back up to a bit over 350, it never returned to the 400 I stabilized it at prior to putting the meat on.  Is that common with the egg?  Are you supposed to achieve a return to the exact temperature you stabilized at?  It was in there for an hour, so I figured it would have gotten back to 400 by the time I took it out, but it didn't.  Not complaining really--the chicken was excellent--I'm just curious.  Anyway, here's a photo of the end result. 

Southern California

Comments