Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

TRex steaks - How hot is my grill?

I grilled some strip steaks on my Egg, decided to try the TRex method on Naked Whiz.  I cleaned out the firebox (saving all the charcoal), and started a fresh fire in a chimney using newspaper.  When the coals were fully engaged, I spread in the firebox, and poured charcoal on top to fill.  Closed the lid and let it go until it reached about 700 ( the sear temp according to the recipe).  I closed the damper a bit and added the daisy wheel top  wide open, and went inside to rub the steaks with oil and seasoning.  When I returned to the grill, it was reading about 200 F - had gone past 6:00 and was on the second lap!!!

I burped it, opened, and quickly got back to the 700 range, but was my grill really approaching 1000 deg?  If the scale is linear, it was beyond that.  I have calibrated the thermometer at 212, so it is at least accurate down there.

At any rate, no one was injured, the steaks came out great (only needed about 3-4 minutes per side after the rest), and the gasket looks fine.

Any thoughts?
2013-07-07 18.46.40.jpg
2448 x 3264 - 3M
2013-07-07 17.07.17.jpg
2448 x 3264 - 3M
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• ORTHODAWGORTHODAWG Posts: 18
    I sear with my dome temp around 400-450.  I use a woo2 set up for my XL.  This allows me to place a cast iron grate on the lower level (it is the size of a large egg grate) just above the coals.  Using an infrared thermometer, I wait until it gets about 700-800 grate temp and sear about 2-2.5 min per side.  While I let the steaks rest, it is easy to get the egg back down since I finish the steaks at about 375-400 which is close to what I was searing them at.  I finish them on a raised regular grate.  I find this way works best for me and I'm not fighting to get my temp back down.