Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baby Backs: too thick to be the best?

TonyATonyA Posts: 563
Maybe these would have had more flavor if I seasoned them the night before or marinated them. Everything was sitting on the outside just off balance. 4.5lb each. Otherwise they were good.
image.jpg 2.4M
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,035
    That's exactly what I do when I get loin back ribs. Costco packs are typically loaded with meat so I always rub the night before.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 563
    I've always thought bigger would automatically be better. Not so much.
    ·
  • tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 195
    I usually only do spares but today I did baby backs. I only seasoned with salt and pepper. I used Bone Suckin Sauce to glaze. Turned out great. Seasoned this morning for an afternoon cook.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,035
    TonyA said:

I've always thought bigger would automatically be better. Not so much.

That's not what she said. ;)
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    Good spare ribs are, in my opinion, for the money, much better than baby back.  They're like the short rib of pork.

·
  • Grill66Grill66 Posts: 14
    Don't be afraid to trim your ribs if there's too much meat on them.  I trimmed off some larger chunks and seasoned them just the same, placed them on the egg next to the ribs and took them off when they reached around 165F.  The extra meat is loin meat that'll just dry out if you let it get to 190F+.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,952
    Size doesn't matter... It is how you use it. <:-P. this saying is what gives @henapple hope.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·