Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Big Green Egg accessory ever

Options
If you use a plate setter in your BGE, you know how difficult it can be to add more wood during a cook or to inspect the pit. Check out this new gizmo. It was invented and manufactured by a BGE dealer in Canada.

I wrote to them and found that it's available in the US from bbqoutfitters.com in Austin. I've use it for the first time this weekend during a long cook on a medium BGE and it makes life a LOT easier. You still have to remove the cooking rack, but this makes getting the plate setter up and then back in place a simple chore, especially in the middle of a cook. It's not inexpensive, but then neither was my BGE. Like a DigiQ II, this device is worth the price.
BGE.jpg 51.2K

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Looks good...but horribly overpriced for what it is.  I know a few people who weld...and may hit one of them up for one of these.  I bet it can be made in a few minutes for a few $.
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Never added lump.Less than $15 maybe, less Than $15.
    Snellville,Ga.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I like the one someone here made out of rebar.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I went to the Toronto EggFest this year (put on by Dickson's) and I bought one.  I've used it a couple of times pulling a hot platesetter in my XL and I like it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Decent eggsessory at best. No offense, but there are numerous thing I would spend $40 (shipping incl) before this. If you have an AR you can check lump and add chunks without moving indirect piece anyway.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    W/ woo I can lift setter and grid at the same time.
    Seattle, WA
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Only way I would buy it for that much is if I did pizzas all day multiple times a year. Otherwise, the PS is not too hot during indirect and the charcoal last a long time.  Can get all the smoke I need from using chunks and placing them throughout lump.

Looks good, but overpriced for what it is.  One of the selling points of the egg is that the lump lasts so long and doesn't have to be messed with.  Also, most hardcore Eggheads seem to have the AR.

Also, don't like the logic that eggsecories should be expensive.
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Am I the only one that never added lump?
    Snellville,Ga.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    pkaboo1 said:

Am I the only one that never added lump?

Have you ever had the egg going for 30+ straight hours?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I have never needed to add lump or wood chunks on any of my 24 hour plus cooks.  I could see if you wanted to pull the plate setter after a low and slow in order to do something else direct it could come in handy.  Having 2 eggs eliminates that need for me.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I just put on some leather gloves and lift it out of there......no big deal.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    I do a lot of pizzas, and I add the wood chips just before adding the pie, when the platesetter and stone are hot.  I've always used a standard gardening trowel to pour the chips in past the platesetter opening.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bocaboy2591
    Options
    To answer some of the comments above, I never need to add charcoal, only wood. If I'm doing a long cook, I clean my BGE first, saving whatever unburned lump is still there, then refill it. I do, however, need to add more smoke on occasion. While I agree that a couple of gloves will pick up the plate setter, I think this is a cleaner and faster solution.

I, too, think it's pricey, but hey, everyone decides their own priorities. My goal was just to share it's availability and my enthusiasm for it with other Eggers!
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have one now hands never touch the platesetter hot or cold it's a excellent value. Bought it after first cook with indirect to direct change, no more hot fingers!
    Use it everyday because i store platesetter in my egg.
    Should be a branded product in my opinion.
    Brampton, Ontario

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    It cost me $25 at the Toronto EggFest. I'm not sure if that was "eggfest pricing" or if that was because there was no shipping (especially to the states).
    Flint, Michigan
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited July 2013
    Options

It cost me $25 at the Toronto EggFest. I'm not sure if that was "eggfest pricing" or if that was because there was no shipping (especially to the states).
    eggfest pricing, made that deal for me also.
    Brampton, Ontario

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    For $40 it doesn't seem that bad. But I don't have a plate setter, so not of much use to me.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.