Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Online Meat

Has anyone had any luck with ordering meat from any online butcher shops ? Especially wagyu or higher end cuts ?

Thanks

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Only from Omaha Steaks - recently did a prime rib from there that was fantastic.
  • I've ordered from Lobels (NY) in the past, but only for very, very special occasions. (They're pretty pricey.)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I get corncob-smoked hams from Harrington's in Vermont every so often, absolutely love them.  I did try Omaha Steaks right before christmas (they had a big sale), but it was still a bit pricey for what you got; worse, they then inundated me with advertising, daily emails, daily phone calls, and weekly mailings.  I finally called them and demanded they take my name off their records.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Here you go - any kind of meat you may want, from Yak Tongue to Guinea Pig meat

You can even get some Takumi Binchotan - Japanese Charcoal - 2.5 Lbs. for $25
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Chicago stockyards has some fantastic stuff and I hear snake river farms is really good as well
    Greensboro, NC
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've ordered lots of meats and sausages online, altho' not wagyu. The biggest variable has not been the quality of the meat, all of which have been fine, but the shipping cost. The worst was that I found a fresh water caviar supplier located about 35 miles way.  They don't have a retail store front, so I ordered from them. Unfortunately, their distributor shipped from 800 miles away. The fish eggs had probably traveled 2000 miles by the time I had them.

The other thing I have noticed is that web stores that feature a variety of items will have higher prices for the same or comparable item from a vendor that only produces 1 or 2. But, again the shipping is a problem. While the smaller vendors may significantly lower prices, buying 2 items from different ends of the country may end up having higher shipping costs than if both were bought in 1 shipment from a single higher priced vendor.

For items that require refrigeration, I usually wait till the weather makes my porch ice cold, so the deliveries might be dropped next to my door in a few days, not hustled to it in a box full of melted ice.

I can only offer that you buy from a place that is the least far away.

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I buy my competition Wagyu from Snake River Farms. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only way to go. 3 1st place, 3 2nd place and 1 3rd place. Nothing better!