Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked picnic shoulder

Options
I put a pair of pork picnic's on my Egg last night at midnight and then laid down for a two hour nap.  Woke up 6 hours later in a bit of panic but was relieved to find the Egg took care of business as expected.

In case you don't know, a picnic is the bottom half of a pork shoulder.  A picnic and a butt together is a whole shoulder.  Picnics are often cheaper but have less yield in the end.  For example, last weekend I started with a 10 lb picnic and ended with just over 4 lbs of pulled pork.

You probably lose 1 lb when you remove the tough skin.  Work a sharp knife under the skin and make a series of short strokes, folding the skin flap back as you progress.

The injection is the Chris Lilly world championship recipe (apple juice, salt, water, sugar, worcestershire sauce).  I have used this injection for years with good results.

The rub was my basic chipotle bbq rub

2 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp Tone's garlic pepper seasoning
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried chipotle chile

Then I smoked it at 250f about 1.5 hours per pound. 

Waiting for them to finish up now but the one we made last weekend was phenomenal.
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Great cook as always-I frequently check out your site for inspiration-the inspiration part is easy-execution becomes the main obstacle.  Your 30-20-10 wing cook process is the best-change up lots of sauces etc but never deviate from the process.  Always a home-run!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.