Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked picnic shoulder

I put a pair of pork picnic's on my Egg last night at midnight and then laid down for a two hour nap.  Woke up 6 hours later in a bit of panic but was relieved to find the Egg took care of business as expected.

In case you don't know, a picnic is the bottom half of a pork shoulder.  A picnic and a butt together is a whole shoulder.  Picnics are often cheaper but have less yield in the end.  For example, last weekend I started with a 10 lb picnic and ended with just over 4 lbs of pulled pork.

You probably lose 1 lb when you remove the tough skin.  Work a sharp knife under the skin and make a series of short strokes, folding the skin flap back as you progress.

The injection is the Chris Lilly world championship recipe (apple juice, salt, water, sugar, worcestershire sauce).  I have used this injection for years with good results.

The rub was my basic chipotle bbq rub

2 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp Tone's garlic pepper seasoning
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried chipotle chile

Then I smoked it at 250f about 1.5 hours per pound. 

Waiting for them to finish up now but the one we made last weekend was phenomenal.
Knoxville, TN
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,460
    Great cook as always-I frequently check out your site for inspiration-the inspiration part is easy-execution becomes the main obstacle.  Your 30-20-10 wing cook process is the best-change up lots of sauces etc but never deviate from the process.  Always a home-run!
    Louisville
    ·