Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Smoke

How do I get good smoke into pork butt? I have done several and they taste good but looking to get a little more smoke in there. Tried several different wood combos also. They are cooked low and slow. Just looking for a little guidance.

Comments

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    I have not had an issue getting smoke into a port butt, my method is get my EGG stabile then have everything ready to go on platesetter, drip pan, grid. I toss my smoking wood, typically I use chunks however today I used chips because that is what I had, I do not soak the wood let the smoke change to that nice light blue. Then place the Butt on the grid and I am good to go. Once I have the meat on the grid I make every effort to not open the egg, on a low & slo that could mean that I will not look at it again for 17 to 20 hours. Today when the probe got to 160 I pulled the butts and wrapped in foil as I was trying out the Turbo method. Will let you know if there is a difference in the smoke flavor.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Make sure the butt is right out of the fridge onto the grid. Cold meat will give a better ring and the smoke always seems to be stronger to me (don't know if it is, but it seems so)
    Mix the smoke wood through the lump and if you want, light the lump in the front on the top. Once the egg is stable at 225-250, drop some smoke wood onto the burning lump before the setter, drip pan and grid goes in. Should give you lots of flavour, I like apple and cherry for pork. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I use Mesquite when I want a strong smoke flavor.   Most say the same about hickory although it is not a wood I use.

I use chunks and make sure there is one directly on the fire to start and two or three nearby so that plenty of wood gets consumed in the first couple hours. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.