Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Time for Clean Burn?

EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 826
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Been using the plate setter without foil for a few months now. Just saw after the Egg heated up a "oil" appeared on the surface of the plate setter (guess its from all the drippings.) Tried wiping it off and it did no good. Will a clean burn rejuvenate the plate setter? If so, what temp do I need to bring the egg to and for how long?

And I guess this nasty smell will transfer to these wings huh?

Comments

• AdamdAdamd Posts: 160
    I would not worry all that much about the taste transfer.

Just load up some lump and open all the vents wide open and let it get as hot as possible. At least over 550 and start with the one side down and after a while it will turn nice new white again and flip it over and let that side cook for a while. 

It should clean up nice after a while. Really depends on how hot the thing is. 
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,527
    Pull your thermo out before doing the clean burn to save yourself from recalibrating after spinning the dial all the way around.