Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mini Nest...worth it??

Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,421
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a mini within the next coupla days. I can get the mini only for $380 and the mini w/ nest for $415. I have a table for my large with extra space on top to place the mini. I'm thinking a stone with spacers would suffice for that instead of getting the nest. And I'm also wanting to transport my egg around for camping/tailgating purposes. I like the look of the carten. I may go with one of those in the future. I am thinking the nest may not be for me. Suggestions??
·

Comments

• IMO, The nest and the carten are an either/or thing.  Either you get a nest and forget a carten or go for the carten and forget about the nest.  The only variation, and I fall into this category, is buying a nest and later on buying a carten.  I bought my mini second hand and the nest came with it.  I'm really interested in a carten though.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I want a carten for my small like really bad. I've emailed the guy twice and haven't gotten a response. :((

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    I have both the CARTen and the nest.  Mini in the nest on the glass table and the CARTen when traveling.  Nest also goes with us when traveling....Have found a few old wooden picnic tables I would not trust to just the egg in the CARTen.  Nest a lot lighter than firebricks.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    shtgunal3 said:
    I want a carten for my small like really bad. I've emailed the guy twice and haven't gotten a response. :((
    patience, the guy is moving i do believe.  

also, I just set my mini on top of my table on a couple of pavers, I usually only use it for short quick cooks so I haven't had any scorching problems.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    I have both the CARTen and the nest.  Mini in the nest on the glass table and the CARTen when traveling.  Nest also goes with us when traveling....Have found a few old wooden picnic tables I would not trust to just the egg in the CARTen.  Nest a lot lighter than firebricks.

Joan with using the feet do you see any problem in the Carten and wood?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,661
    Like my nest
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,975
    I skipped the nest and got the carten, but can see that the nest may be useful too. I'm working on a mobile table setup which the carten will sit in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,300
    caliking said:

I skipped the nest and got the carten, but can see that the nest may be useful too. I'm working on a mobile table setup which the carten will sit in.

It better be remote controlled.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,975
    It better be remote controlled.
    Who do ya think I am? nola? It will have wheels though :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    Mine will. I'm going to johnny 5 that bad boy when I get it.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,262
    I could put one in the cat wheelchair I made for my neighbor's cat, and I suspect the cat dangling apparatus was never successfully implemented. (I'm not kidding, I made this for their crippled cat Doby)  I do have a picture but I'm too lazy to find it. Trust me.

·

I could put one in the cat wheelchair I made for my neighbor's cat, and I suspect the cat dangling apparatus was never successfully implemented. (I'm not kidding, I made this for their crippled cat Doby)  I do have a picture but I'm too lazy to find it. Trust me.

Is it similar to that dog one that was in the news a few years ago?
    ·
    It's kind of pathetic. 3/4" ID PVC pipe, some castors I cast in with epoxy and bondo.  But a solid design,   I looked at video of them in action and pictures and read up. Probably $30 in PVC...and that's a lot because that stuff is dirt cheap.

·
    I bet if you painted flames on it the cat would gain 10 horsepower.
    ·
    Ah, you're using Thermapen logic.

·

Ah, you're using Thermapen logic.

Mainly ricer logic.

ricer4.jpg 24.1K
    ·
    If it didn't have wings, it would fly off the road into outer space.

·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,089
    image.jpg 53.2K
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
    They see me rollin'... they hatin'...
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,275
    Tryin to catch me ridin dirty
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Dyal I love my nest. Got a wait on the carten. He isn't making them for a while. The new nest is great IMO. You could build some type handle or it and have best of both worlds.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,421
    Thx everyone for your suggestions. I think I might go ahead and get the nest then. May try to fabricate my own egg crate thingy since the guy building them is tied up. I like little projects like that anyways. :)
    ·
  • TAPROOTTAPROOT Posts: 22
    Table the mini my friend.
    image.jpg 735.7K
    Fireside Outdoor Kitchens
    www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com
    Big Green Egg dealer extraordinaire
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    Was fun talking to you last night even if I wasn't helpful. Blame it on the bourbon.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    Overturned ceramic planter.image
    Mamaroneck
    ·

Overturned ceramic planter.image

Could work. Wonder if the new nests will work.

·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    Chubbs said:
    Overturned ceramic planter.
    Could work. Wonder if the new nests will work.
    Honestly, I don't think I need to keep the nest on - it's pretty stable without it
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,624

I didn't want the nest, found a metal cart on-line at Costco which works great here at home.  I did get a Carten for traveling, primarily when we go to our little hideaway on the Oregon Coast.  In the Carten, on four ceramic feet, sitting on a sheet of silicone padding, like @Mickey does, it will go on a wooden table with no problems whatever.

Love the Carten!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·