Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

very quick pizza question please!

Hey, sorry, last minute here, just got home and am going to do some pizza's for a b-day. Last time I am sure I used corn meal on top of the stone so it didn't stick and slid off easy, I seam to be missing it today, what else is used????
County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Parchment paper or coarse flour, like semolina..... Don't use too much flour I find it burns, might just be my stone. Parchment is the foolproof method and no clean-up.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    If your heat your stone at a high temperature for at least 45 minutes your pizza should not stick. You need to put cornmeal, or flour on your peel to transfer it to the stone. You can also use parchment paper
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Thanks bud. I think I might have enough here for 4 pizza's. Forgot about that!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Bottom line is parchment is better. You have the freedom to make your pizza a bit heavier and even oil your crust without the risk of sticking.

My first 50+ pizzas I never used it but may stick to it now.
    Seattle, WA
  • AlbertaEgger
    Looks like I have enough, thanks again to all! Have some long weekend cooks I will post tomorrow that turned out great. Been some bad luck for me around here though. Post the pizza tomorrow as well I hope. Thanks again.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Another vote for parchment.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I hate parchment. Used it a couple of times. Crust sucked. Just a pinch of semolina on the peel and dough slides right off.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Parchment worked great for me you can remove after a few minutes if u like.Cant see anything else working better.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • AlbertaEgger
    On pizza #2 of 4, its working great, not sure how to post pics off blackberry so I will tomorrow if I end up going to work.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Parchment worked great for me you can remove after a few minutes if u like.Cant see anything else working better.

I DID remove it after a couple minutes. Not for me. Semolina first choice, then cornmeal, then flour. If I'm out of all three, I'll leave the parchment in the cabinet and have a burger.

:))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I hate parchment. Used it a couple of times. Crust sucked. Just a pinch of semolina on the peel and dough slides right off.
    Use whatever works for you and you find easiest. I don't see how parchment can have any effect other than keeping the dough from sticking to the stone. It is pretty inert. My pies are about 1" smaller than my stone and the parchment about the same to 1/4" less than the stone. After 5 minutes I use the parchment to rotate the pie, then slip the paper out. No flour, no cornmeal needed, although I did use them for years. 
    I build the pie right on the parchment on my open sided cookie sheet, don't seem to need a peel with the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AlbertaEgger
    Well first time with the paper and I see no issues. Working well for me for sure. But all options suggeted make sense. Thanks to all.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    A few weeks ago I had a spur of the moment urge to cook pizza.  I went to WalMart and picked up three 16 ounce dough balls in the deli area.  They were $0.88 each and I was amazed at the quality of the dough.  It was the best store bought dough I have ever had.  I always add cornmeal even on my parchment paper.  Parchment stays for first 3 minutes and then it gets pulled. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes.  Cooking temperature is constant and stable 550 degrees.  One inch air gap between stone and indirect barrier.  6-8 minutes for round hand tossed and about 12-15 minutes for deep dish pizzas.  

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • AlbertaEgger
    Any issue leaving the paper for the whole cook?