Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak

I was over a friends house while he was cooking steaks and made one of the best steaks i ever had. He has another type of kamodo grill which had a firebox divider where he could sear the steak on one side of the grill and then move it over to the other side where there was no fire underneath it and let it sit for another 5 minutes while he melted blue cheese on top. Is there a way to set up the egg with accessories to do this ? Also first time time to forum.

Thanks a lot in advance. 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sounds like he has a Primo Oval. Perhaps if you have a XL you can position the charcoal to one side for the hot/cool zones. Otherwise, Trex, reverse sear, or hot-tubbing can accomplish the same thing with the sear and dwell/roast period.

One thing to get is the half grid assembly. It will act as a deflector for the cool side and the open grid can be the hot side.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    There's lots of ways this could be done.

1) Sear with direct heat, then install plate setter, and finish indirect.  This has the disadvantage of having to carefully place the plate setter into a potentially very hot egg.  You could mostly shut down the egg and let it cool for 10 minutes...but it's still going to be hot.

2) Search the forum for grid extender.  Sear on the lower deck, direct, remove steaks, place a few fire bricks or baking stone on lower deck, finish on upper deck.  This, I suspect, is easier than placing the plate setter.

3) Search here or google for "adjustable rig".  It would no doubt allow for a variation of the above.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The egg can go from low to high temperature very fast.  Especially if you have a leaf blower. :))
    Use the Ang-L Brackets from Ceramic Grill Store and you have a fire box divider that can change sizes as needed.
  • royalt
    royalt Posts: 6
    Thanks Big Steve that is what I am looking for. Have you ever tried it ? And do you get a cooler zone ?
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    It works really well with a half grid assembly and the half stone.