Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Shrimp Question

boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

Griffin's post about the green light shrimp prompted my thoughts about shrimp pizza - and resulted in this question.

If you were going to do Pizza with shrimp on it - would you precook the shrimp or do you think it would cook enough while the pizza was cooking?

Cookin in Texas
·

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    I just put them on raw. Sometimes, if they are small, I throw them on partway through the cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    I precook mine until they are nearly done. My latest was with Alfredo sauce and shaved Parmesan reggiano.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,271
    I would think they would cook quick enough on the pizza. Small one might cook too fast
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    Depends on what kind of dough you are using. Is it one that cooks at a lower temp for longer, or a higher temp short cook time. I haven't experimented with shrimp on pizza yet, but I know we used pre-cooked shrimp at a pizza joint I worked at in college.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Thank you for the responses - trying some this weekend.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • TTCTTC Posts: 487

I do shrimp on pizza most every time I make pizza, and I marinate them in olive oil-garlic-crushed red pepper and give them a quick saute just to par cook them a little 

my favorite combo's are shrimp, prosciutto, sundried tomato and shrimp, chicken/apple sausage, sundried tomato.

XL BGE - Gallatin, TN
    ·
  • just hit them with a torch for a few seconds if they aren't totally done when the pie is.

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    The main reason I par cook shrimp is because of the liquid released by the shrimp when they cook. It helps to keep things crisp. I don't like soggy pizza. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    GrannyX4 is right - shrimp release a bunch of water when they cook.  Different shrimp release different amounts of liquid....gulf brown shrimp are a good choice for pizza. 

Either way, doesn't take much to cook shrimp..hold 'em up to the sun for a few minutes and they're half way there.

·