Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Gasket question

I had a quick question for all out there that have replaced a gasket. I remember a while back someone using a rough disk to clean the remains of their gasket off. Please see the picture below and let me know if this is what was used. I picked it up this morning but it seems very stiff. Just don't want to mess up the grill using something that is too abrasive. Thanks
image.jpg 2.7M

• fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 670
    Take a look at the Rutland Gsket replacement write up by naked Whiz

He recommends the 3M paint stripper disc.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 185
    I used my oscillating tool with 80 grit sandpaper and then cleaned it off with some alcohol.  I haven't had an issue.  Don't over think it. 

Zionsville, IN
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,868
    I used nothing but a pumice stone and got it cleaned.  Worked like a charm. 

One trick I did though is I used an old shipping tape dispenser to spread the permatex once I put a bead on the Egg.  The metal grooves that you would normally use to cut the tape worked perfectly as a tiny trough to spread the glue around.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,178
    That'll work fine.  Sandpaper also works.  I've done it both ways.  Heat up the egg and bulk remove the majority of gasket with a putty knife first.  As a last step, try to degrease the gasket surface with some rubbing alcohol or acetone.
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 663
    All of the old gasket was scraped off last week after a pizza cook. There is very little gasket left. I just want to get it very clean as I am going to replace it with the free gasket from BGE. Next time it goes I will use the Rutland method. Thanks to every one for their input.
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 185
    I replaced with the free and it looks like it is going to hold up for some time.  I have done two pizza cooks and it still looks brand new.  It is much better than the old felt gasket. 
    Zionsville, IN