Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First low and slow smoke.....Pork Butt

Hello All!  New LBGE owner here, located just North of Dalals, TX.  We have done two cooks....pics to come soon, both went well with a few learning experieces along the way.  For the 4th, we are planning to smoke pork butt, based on the advice and info posted here.  Seems like a good cut to try as a first smoke.  We have a few accessories but no fancy digital probes or controls as yet.  We wanted to get used to the Egg first.  So here is our plan.....we have the pork butt pack from Costco, 14 lbs total, two butts in the pack. Will season and let rest while getting the Egg ready.  Planning to stack charcoal large chunks on the bottom to smaller ones on top, to the very top of the fire box.  Smoking chunks will be in with charcoal, spread throughout. Plate setter legs up, drip pan with water, butts on the factory grate. Aiming for dome temp of 225-250. Cooking to internal of just over 200.  I have heard various things on how long it should take....it is two butts, about 7 lbs each.  I have heard everything from 8 hours to 20 hours......we would like to FTC the meat then turn up the heat on the Egg to do some beer and onion brats--recipe I saw here..so we want the butt to rest during that time.  Can someone tell me what the estimated cook time should be so we can plan?  Thanks!!

Comments