Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? for pie makers

GK59
GK59 Posts: 501

I had an idea of adding some red apple balsamic to an apple pie.

What do you think? If it would work, how much would I add?

Thanks,Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    red apple balsamic vinegar?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Yes RAB. We have a few places here in MI that sell only balsamics and vinegars. Straight and flavored. One place in Traverse City is Faustini's(www.fustinis.com ) and Great Lake Olive oils(greatlakesoliveoil.com) in Frankenmuth.

Use a lot of cherry balsamic on pork and chicken. Of course it's from TC the cherry capital.

MY wife loves the wild mushroom and sage OO on salads in lieu of dressing.

Sorry about the bold print . Can't get rid of it

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Okay. So you're talking about adding it to the crust or to the pie filling?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @GK59... I'd never heard of RAB and just did a quick Google search. Guess this is something new I can add on my list of things to try. I'd be interested in knowing a little more about how you use the cherry balsamic and what your thoughts are on using the apple in your pie.

TexanOfTheNorth

RAB= Red Apple Balsamic ,just shortened it up.  Sort of like EVOO.I'd like to add it to the filling but not to overwelm it .Just to add some flair.

As I said above I use them as marinades and to drizzle over after the cook. I inject the cherry in my butts for pulled pork. Did it to a turkey breast to.Try it over ice cream . Great Lakes has a chocolate I wanted to try on fresh fruit. Peach or pineapple on ham or pork loin.

I have to limit myself on how much I keep on hand. Can't let it get out of hand like my spice/rub cabinet.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Thanks @GK59, I will definitely be giving this a closer look. I love a good apple pie so I'd be interested to know how yours turns out.
    If I screw it up ,I may be eating it alone.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• GK59 said:
    If I screw it up ,I may be eating it alone.

Worse things could happen ;;)
  • GK59
    I didn't give all the info on the 2 stores. They also sell a wide range of olive oils.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• I did some blueberry turnovers yesterday and for 10 oz. of berries, I added 1tsp of lemon zest and 1Tbsp of lemon juice along with sugar for the maceration.  I would probably just add 1tsp this time around and adjust up next time if needed. Good luck!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Many apple pie filling call for an acid like lemon juice(1 -3 Tbsp, typically) I would at least half that amount or replace it totally 1:1. Perhaps test it out in turnovers or fritters. You can even just make a little filling and try that. Serve it with ice cream or something. I think that last part would be easiest.
  • GK59

Well I went for it and added 1 tbs of red apple balsamic in lieu of the lemon juice. Didn't make much difference to the taste. It only darkened the apples.

Back to the basics.

I did use some raspberry on some pork tenderloin last week and that added lots of flavor.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Thanks for the update @GK59. I'm doing my research on this whole balsamic vinegar thing; checking out available sourcing options.
    I think balsamic added to apples for pie would be brilliant; most apples are not tangy enough for me. I would do an experiment if I were being overly concerned: about 2 Tbs per pie would be my guess but you could make up filling as a trial and see if it needs more vinegar or more sugar after you add vinegar. Simply cut up an apple and cook it like a stewed fruit and flavor it to see what you need.

By the way, there is a great Kindle book available on PIES --America's Best Pies and it's only two bucks on special this month. You can read it on a PC if you aren't a Kindle user. I bring my Kindle or PC laptop into the kitchen for recipes. 
  • You may want to try a reduction... lightly simmer about 1/2 a cup with a Tablespoon or two of sugar (I like brown sugar for apple) when it is reduced down to roughly 1/8 cup (should be thicker, will become syrupy when cooled) You can then add a couple of tablespoons to the pie or use it as a sauce to drizzle over the top of the pie and the Ice Cream that I can only assume will be served along side...  :)  Enjoy!!