Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New DMFT Handle

I quickly threw this together in about 3 minutes before a cook.  I plan on remaking one that looks a bit more professional but thought I would share this with everyone.

I was tired of grabbing the small handle on the DMFT and brushing my fingers against the hot iron.  I especially hated it when the cap would swing open and the DMFT would rock burning my fingers.  So I decided to make a larger handle to prevent this minor inconveinence.  In this picture I lined up the old handle so you can see the difference.  The spiral grip was from a neighbor's grill he was throwing out.  He had two of them and I liked their size compared to the small BGE one.  I will use the other one as a handle on a homemade wiggle rod I still need to make.

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Saaaay!  Not bad!  Me likey.

Living Large and XL

• ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited July 2013
    Nice idea great prototype, maybe wire could be SS would last longer and be more disco. Might be harder to replace on dome with that length though.
    Brampton, Ontario

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I made one after I bought a used medium where it was missing.  Took a chunk of dowel, drilled a hole in it, used a paint can handle for the wire.  Took about 10 minutes.

or just don't use it
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• This was a rod I actually had laying around that I could bend with a pair of pliers.  It just so happened my neighbor was throwing out the spiral thingys so I just threw this together before a cook.  I didnt think much about it except that I needed to make sure that it was held up by the DMFT or else it would be lying on the egg which would have made it hot and defeated my purpose.

I will put a little more thought into the remake.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice mods. I didn't like the stock handles much either. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Ghetto mods, love 'em. I like the wood used by @nolaegghead and the way the metal extends out and rests on the top of the DMFT used by @TheEasyLife. Thanks for sharing guys. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    DFMT...to be correct.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932

DFMT...to be correct.

Thanks smitty, that makes more sense.

Can't help my thoughts on ghetto mod....(done some myself)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Also, MFDFMT is completely acceptable.   Or *&^%$#DFMT.

I am almost forced to use the top.  Living on the Gulf of Mexico it can get windy especially in the summer.  If I only use the bottom door and the wind picks up I can see a 50-75 F change in the egg.  The DFMT keeps this to a 5-10F change.  Its also one of the reasons why I got a Stoker for long cooks.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Always knew it to be Dual Function Metal Top, or DFMT - I thought @TheEasyLife had properly coined a new name as in Dumb Mother F'ing Top, DMFT - as so many say the damn things fall off, the handles break and generally it gets all grunged up. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Always knew it to be Dual Function Metal Top, or DFMT - I thought @TheEasyLife had properly coined a new name as in Dumb Mother F'ing Top, DMFT - as so many say the damn things fall off, the handles break and generally it gets all grunged up. 

Thats good comedy!!!