Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

New owner First Cook, Paella

I have been making Paella on a Weber kettle for several years.  Recently became the proud owner of an XLBGE thanks to a great wife and a milestone birthday.  I have 2 Paella pans.  A 14" (serves 6) and an 18" (serves 10-12).  The XL is the only one that holds an 18" pan, so there was no question.  My recipe is adapted from one I found in a Weber cookbook, so I have never cooked it on anything but charcoal.  I have kind of figured out the ratio of broth to rice to protein, so it is easy to scale up the recipe for more or less people.

At any rate, i wanted to break in the egg with some friends, and Paella is always a festive event on my patio.  Invited 3 other couples including the owner of the local BGE dealer who set me up. 

Began by starting the fire in my chimney, but having not read up enough, it was a bit too small for the duration of the cook, and I did have to add some charcoal, but otherwise a complete success.  I always add some smoking wood (apple) as I believe it adds authenticity to the Paella.  For protein, this one had Chorizo (which I smoke myself) a bit of chicken, shrimp, and mussels.  We set the pan in the middle of our round table with 2 serving spoons and everybody digs in.  Delish.
paella.JPG
1280 x 854 - 455K
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments