Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oops I seem to upset the wife

Options
So I have had my xl for about a month now and cook on it pretty much every weekend and I was asking the wife what she wanted me to cook yesterday and her response was "I knew this was going to happen, I haven't been out to eat since that d@!n egg got here!!!". You would think she would be thrilled since there is little or no work on her part. I asked her where we could go get three racks of ribs, corn on the cob, Mac and cheese, and baked potato for under $40 and get the quality of food we get here. She did concede that i was some what correct on that but she still wants to go out.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Then take her out to eat. Trust me, you're not going to be happy if she's not happy. Pick your battles... you'll live to egg another day that way.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited July 2013
    Options
    That is kind of ironic because I have the opposite end of that dilemma. My wife doesn't want to go out to eat anymore. Ever. She says "Why pay more to eat out when we can have something better for less here?" I guess I have her right where she wants me. Most of her long time friends live about 45 minutes to an hour away. When they'd get together they'd meet at some restaurant half way. She has been so won over by the Egg, she usually invites them up here. She pays and I get to make some good food on the Egg.

Getting back to your problem: I agree with caliking, take her out. If she's happy, you're happy. Talk to her about it when the time is right, it might not even be the food. She may just want some quality time with you outside of the house when you aren't involved with cooking and she has your full attention. If that is the reason, there is nothing wrong with that. Meanwhile be sure to stay at the top of your game on the Egg. Plus you might also want to arrange it so wherever you go, you make a similar meal before or after. With the two meals close together, hopefully she will really notice the difference in food quality and price.

Jim

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Your post is funny for a different reason.  I'm having medical issues with my feet and doctor's orders are to stay off them as much as possible.  For the past couple of weeks, Wilma has poo-pooed my "Egg talk" and wants me to stay off my feet and away from the egg.  I won yesterday and did some leg quarters that were pretty good. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

@dstrbd488, I have your same problem.  My wife hates housework - especially dishes.  Any meal at home is "work" any meal out is a "treat" - and the quality of the food really doesn't enter the equation.  She's not indifferent to the food quality and will admit that (for example) my steaks are better than the best steaks we get in upscale steakhouses, but that's not enough to overcome the issue of housework/dishes.  And she won't let me do all the dishes because then she feels guilty for not contributing.

We've struck a balance where I get to cook out 2-4 times a week depending on our schedules.  It works for both of us.  Hopefully, you and your wife will find some balance as well. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX