Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket dillema

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,656
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
So maybe because I'm tired.. But this is bothering me. I'm going to trim most of the fat on my 12lb packer. Leaving just enough fat to cover the meat. I'm going to smoke it at 245..were eating at 6..noy sure what time to put it on.
I thought I had it figured out.. Put it on at 3am..then I read another post that someone put it on at 930pm and it didn't finish until 230 PM the next day. So what do I do?

Comments

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 1,939
    You would be fine if it finishes within 3-5 hours of planned serving time as long as you have a cooler big enough to put it in wrapped in foil and maybe a towel or two.  Brisket is probably the most fickle cook in the world.  Good luck.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 1,939
    I guess If you are talking tonight, I'd get it fired up now and get it stabilized and on the Egg.  Perhaps I'm not drunk enough to explain my process at this time on a Sunday night.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,673
    My 13-14 lbs or so was done @ about 1 hr a lb @ 250 or so. It just varies. If you got a cooler you can FTC for 3-5 like Scott said.
    Seattle, WA
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 543
    edited July 2013
    I'd put it on as late you're comfortable tonight and figure about an hour to an hour and maybe some small change per pound.  If you get it off by, say, between noon and 2 tomorrow, you will be fine for FTC until it's time to eat.  Or you could FTC for a few hours and if you're worried about the temp dropping, FTC for a few hours, then put it in the oven still foiled at the lowest setting until it's ready to serve.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,656
    Yeah it's for the Fourth of July, I believe I was a little out of it when I posted. So yeah I was thinking of putting it on around 3am...and hoping it got done around 3-4pm to FTC