Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opening bags of charcoal

As I was opening a new bag of charcoal tonight, I remembered how when I started grilling I had no idea how to open the darn things without a knife. Made a mess and ended up ripping the bag.

For those of us that didn't grow up opening bags of feed, here's a handy write-up on how it's done (not mine, just one I found).

http://cheaptalk.org/2011/05/29/how-to-open-a-bag-of-charcoal/
Cedar Park, TX

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Since I transfer my lump from the bag to a storage tote, I actually do still use a knife.  I lay the bag down and cut it from top to bottom, pull it open and then move the pieces by hand into the tote, therefore eliminating the dust and tiny pieces getting mixed in.

I kind of find it a little humorous that there's a video showing people how to open a bag of charcoal. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've struggled with the string and always end up with a knife or scissors. Can't wait to open my next bag.
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    edited July 2013
    KennyLee said:

kind of find it a little humorous that there's a video showing people how to open a bag of charcoal. 

Be careful what you say in a forum where we take pictures of how we cook our dinner :)
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    KennyLee said:

Since I transfer my lump from the bag to a storage tote, I actually do still use a knife.  I lay the bag down and cut it from top to bottom, pull it open and then move the pieces by hand into the tote, therefore eliminating the dust and tiny pieces getting mixed in.

I kind of find it a little humorous that there's a video showing people how to open a bag of charcoal. 

And now there's a thread on it too!
    NW IOWA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Nice thread - or should i say string? i get it right about 80% of the time. The knife by the bbq accessories deckbox is for the other 20%.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Everyone struggles... Often have to use a knift to get things started.  Once you see that it's "unzipping" take advantage of the situation... Open the bag with a dramatic sweep of the arm... Good deck theater.  
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    KennyLee said:

How do you feel about the instructions on a bottle of shampoo?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    All fine and well except different manufacturers use different stitches.  I just fuss and swear until it pulls free.  If I've only gotten about 1/4 of the way across and I'm still fussing and swearing, I get out the utility knife and with one final swear word slash the mother open.      

More or less....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That's how I do it. Same kind of setup on the horsefeed we use down at the ranch. Takes a bit of practice, but when you get it down its much faster. Comes in handy when you don't have a knife on hand.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    edited July 2013

All fine and well except different manufacturers use different stitches.      

Good point. I pretty much only use Ozark Oak anymore so I can vouch for it working on those. Just pick at the knot a couple times and it opens right up.

Cedar Park, TX

• KennyLee said:

How do you feel about the instructions on a bottle of shampoo?

Lather, rinse, repeat. I stop when the bottle runs out. If that's not the proper method, the manufacturer would not advise it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Conditioner is better. It makes the hair silky and smooth.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What about nutting up and cutting the bag open?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    I'm typically about an arm's length from the knife in my pocket.  By the time you un-jackedup the first side of the string, I've got the bag open and my Egg filled.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    What about nutting up and cutting the bag open?
    Nut up? Hulk smash. Rip bag with hands. Dump black gold. Feast.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This is how I used to open it....but I'd get a lot of dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuJ_20MGok

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118

In the time you've played with that string (like a house cat); I've grabbed the tab, ripped it open and dumped a load of coals into the egg.

I'd make a video, but I think you guys probably do the same thing.