Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moink balls?

So tomorrow is Canada Day and after such a successful pizza cook a few friends are coming over and I have the stuff for moink balls.
Now usually moink balls are made from pre-cooked frozen meatballs wrapped in bacon BUT I have ground beef.
So how do I do this , do I make the meat balls cook em and wrap em in bacon or cook both the meatballs and bacon and cook them indirect at the same time?
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I've always done them with the frozen meatballs from the store and they turn out great.one of the simplest yet most consistently raved about apps I've made.

I guess if I only had ground beef available I'd cook the meatballs first, let them cool, then wrap and grill to cook bacon.

Good luck, have fun, throw us a pic when done.

Cheers-
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I've only made them from frozen as well but I would say make up the meatballs with the ingredients that you would put in a meatloaf then make meatballs out of that mix then wrap with bacon sprinkle with BBQ rub and grill and sauce as usual.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Ya i'm unsure about the precook part I mean the bacon will need 45 min to an hour to cook indirect so the meatballs raw should cook from there as well right...no need to precook the meatballs?

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    My only worry with not pre cooking would be getting them to hold together. I certainly can't say the other way wouldn't work, might be awesome, but I usually don't get too crazy the first time I try something new...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    So whats a good temp to cook these indirct...350 or lower???

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I usually cook them in the 280-300 range and use frozen (partially thawed as pushing a skewer or toothpick through a fully frozen meatball is not fun). You can cook them at higher temps as long as the rub and/or sauce you're using doesn't burn at higher temps. I have seen folks cook homemade meatballs (approx 1/2 oz each) without precooking them. Could turn out just fine as the pre cooked ones tend to be pretty overcooked by the time the bacon crisps up.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA