Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter or Woo2

Even though the wife said to wait until the deck has been redone, I've gone ahead and ordered the XL and Thermapen.

I am by no means a chef but am looking forward to cooking the usual things - ribs, butts, briskets, steaks w/ sear, pizzas, chicken. Having read this forum for weeks and also reviewed the accessories from CGS I was curious which is the better option, the plate setter or Woo2 w/ ceramic stone.

After searing the steaks on the spider holding the CI, can I drop in the Woo2 over the spider to finish them indirect? What kind of gloves do you wear when reaching into the Egg?

Can't wait to get off the sidelines!

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited June 2013
    NJ_BBQ said:

Even though the wife said to wait until the deck has been redone, I've gone ahead and ordered the XL and Thermapen.

First off, awesome... And welcome to the best grill ever...

Now regarding your question... Had I known about the CGS before getting my platesetter, I would not have gotten the platesetter for all of the reasons you've mentioned above. Plate setter is a one trick pony... The CGS stuff brings a whole new element to cooking on your egg. 

I use the welders gloves that I bought off of CGS as well. I like them.

Happy egging...  You are gonna love it.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    To me if you use a Marvick or like wise Devices the platesetter can give the leads protection from the direct heat from the fire. I just got the woo2 and stone. And that is what noticed. I cooked a couple of butts Friday night and used the platesetter over woo because of that. Than Saturday night used the woo2 and stone for indirect cooking. Woo2 is easier to work with. I see myself using both. Platesetter when I use the Marvick and the PartyQ on overnight cooks. Woo for the rest.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    While i agree with Jerkchix about getting the platesetter before knowing about CGS, I'm still happy i have it.  Just get whichever you want more (you'll get the other eventually).
    MBGE in Charleston

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I have the Woo2 and find it very versatile.  Provides my indirect using their stone and makes it is easy to cook raised direct.

Do you have the spider now?  If so, there may be better items from CGS since you don't need the spider portion of the Woo2. Call Tom and discuss it.  He is very helpful.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.