Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie and the Dutch oven

Options
Howdy from the barren wastes of charred Texoma! Was speechlessly surprised with a Large BGE for Father's Day. Immediately produced delicious backyard ribeyes followed by stuffed burgers. Wild success. So, I next attacked that recipe ballyhooed on the front page: Dos Equis 3-Cheese fondue. It went ok....but here's my question: I set up for direct grilling at 400. Next, using my Dutch oven, I sautéed and browned and seared and melted ingredients (as directed). Obviously, this is all accomplished with the dome open. I can confirm the Egg can jack out the heat!! Lawdy, I've no hair left on the bottom half of my forearms!! I managed to keep the cheese from not scalding and it was quite tasty but after removing the Dutch oven and closing the dome I was registering a dome temp of 550. I did have the grate open by about 1.5" -- my thought is I should'a just shut it completely for this type of cooking. I like the results, but, it was a rather harrowing experience for a few minutes. Question restated: if cooking with the dome open is it possible to control the temp at all? (I imagine I'm fixing to get flamed for this question, but, it's great being here with the Egg. )

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    From my experience, not really. Temp control is accomplished through airflow control, which is not really possible when the dome is open. I have the same expertise when I wok on my XL, but the results more than make up for the terror.

Best accessory I ever bought was a good pair of leather welding gauntlets (elbow length). The only time they don't work great is when I don't wear them. About $15 on Amazon.

Cheers-
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • spursinwichita
    Options
    Thanks, Badger. Gonna get a pair.