Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapping a pork butt?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseum and I apologize..searched for a bit but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thinking about doing a 9lb or so butt on the 4th and wondering if I should wrap it in foil at some point.  I have done many pork butts but never wrapped - usually I do inject with a mixture of apple juice/cider vinegar.  One time in order to speed the process I did put a butt in a foil pan and tented it with foil - totally ruined the bark.  I'm concerned wrapping in foil will do the same thing.  So my questions are:

1. Does wrapping tightly in foil ruin the bark?
2. If not, and you wrap, do you put some moisture in the foil with the butt, and how much?
3. About what internal temp do you wrap at?
4. Or is the wrap/don't wrap merely a personal preference?

Again, sorry for what seem like basic questions.  Everybody have a great 4th!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    What are you trying to accomplish by wrapping? 

Are you not satisfied with the results of your normal approach?

Yes, wrapping with foil will have an affect on you bark.  I've only wrapped in butcher paper, and when i've done so, it was to speed up cooking.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited June 2013
    In my opinion, wrapping a pork butt ruins the bark if you do it during the cook. That being said I always wrap my pork butts when they reach 195 degrees, pull them off my XL EGG and let them sit in a cooler for at least three hours. I never wrap during cooking cause the bark is the payoff from using a smoker in my opinion. Otherwise, you could just use a crockpot or oven.

Wrapping the butt once it's reached your desired temp doesn't do a thing to the bark.
  • Thanks for both comments - I've been happy with the results of my cooks without wrapping.  Just wondering if I'm missing out, maybe not having it as juicy as it could be.  But I've always thought it they were juicy.

I'd hate to ruin any bit of the bark!

And I do FTC afterward and have never had it affect the bark so, based on all that, maybe I should just forget the wrapping.

I wrap my briskets in butcher paper and I do think that helps keep them really juicy - but I don't inject those.
  • I have found that if you wrap when the butt hits the stall 165ish, you still achieve a good bark. It will finish a little sooner, and it traps enough of its own juices that I don't feel adding anything is necessary.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Mud Pig
    edited June 2013
    Just a quick note. I do add "pig liquor" to my pork butt after I pull it. People swear by my pulled pork and I find that this seasons all the meat along with the chopped up bark beautifully.

Pig Liquor recipe: (per pork butt)
    2 cups apple juice
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    2 tbs of the rub you use on your butt
    Boil it

Add it to your pulled pork and then serve. You shall become a legend.

MP
  • Mud Pig said:
    Just a quick note. I do add "pig liquor" to my pork butt after I pull it. People swear by my pulled pork and I find that this seasons all the meat along with the chopped up bark beautifully. Pig Liquor recipe: (per pork butt) 2 cups apple juice 1 cup apple cider vinegar 2 tbs of the rub you use on your butt Boil it Add it to your pulled pork and then serve. You shall become a legend. MP
    Two questions: Do you boil it just until the flavors combine, or do you attempt to reduce it? Second, do you serve it with sauce as well?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Mud Pig
    ^^^ I boil it just to combine the flavors. It allows the rub to dissolve into the liquid. I don't reduce it.

I never serve my pulle pork with BBQ sauce. It's on the table as an option but totally unnecessary.

I don't like covering up the taste ofthe pork. Lesser BBQ restaurants do this and it's a real shame.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    This seems like a ton of liquid to add. Does it soak in or is the finished product "saucy"? Sounds delicious
  • I have found that if you wrap when the butt hits the stall 165ish, you still achieve a good bark. It will finish a little sooner, and it traps enough of its own juices that I don't feel adding anything is necessary.
    Thanks - that's what I was wondering about.  
  • Mud Pig
    Beaumonty said:

This seems like a ton of liquid to add. Does it soak in or is the finished product "saucy"? Sounds delicious

It doesn't get saucy. I put tongs in the serving dish as people grab pork they don't get a lot of liquid on their plates or buns. It's not that much liquid if you considered I pour it over 10 pounds of pork.