Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight Boston Butts w a Glaze!

Options
No Flo Rome
No Flo Rome Posts: 55
Due to the fact that I ruined a couple of butts a few years ago doing an overnight cook, I was a bit nervous this time around. I have done numerous successful butt cooks since then, just not overnight. 

Last night's cook just ended and it is superb. I am back! 

Started by anchoring, then rubbing them down heavily. Put them on and cooked at 275*( was not going to go lower and risk losing them as I slept this time).

After cooking the butts for 7-8 hours, I glaze and foil the butts individually and put them back on the egg until done which is usually another 5 hours for me. Being a bit paranoid about the temp dropping, it was easy for me to get up when the alarm went off at 3am. All was good at that time so I heated my glaze mixture, wrapped them loosely in heavy duty foil and poured the glaze over them.  

The glaze is a simple mixture of brown sugar, honey and butter that is heated on the stove and poured over the butts to soften and sweeten the bark on the meat. 

After putting them back on, I fell asleep to espn and woke to perfectly smoked butts ( I like an internal temp of 205* ) which were wrapped in towels and put in a cooler to settle for an hour. Going to pull and chop them now. Pulled Pork and Eggs! 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Now that's a breakfast. And well-deserved. Assuming of course that it actually happened... Pics?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• No Flo Rome
    Options
    it was good. will be better for dinner w salad, rolls and corn on the cob. and of course a Stella. 

never taken the time to figure out pix. never posted a cook before either, just wanted to share the glaze step. maybe i can get one of my kids to do the pix uploading. i do pix of my cooks on my iphone, but that was way easy.

- ciao or chow, whichever you prefer.