Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

1/2 turbo butt?

tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
Intended to do a low and slow last night. Have two 6 lb. butts on, indirect w/ps legs up. Drip pan (empty). Put on at 10 last night 275 dome (just calibrated yesterday). Maverick at both the grid and in a butt. Maverick grid temp and dome temp have a steady 20 degree difference all cook. Temp must have got away from me during the night, because I just got up and the meat temp is already 184. That is 8 hours in. My previous experience on low and slow (250 ish dome) have been 15 hours or so. So with the dome around 275-300 all night, is there anything different I should do now? I'm assuming ride it out till it is done and FTC. By the way, I like to FTC around 200-205 meat temp.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I wouldn't change anything unless you're looking at an excessively long FTC (for me that would be over 6 hrs). In that event I'd consider lowering temps to slow it down.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Move the probe in the meat to another spot or check with thermopen... pockets of the butt will be hotter than other spots
    Kent Madison MS
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You might be in the middle of a four hour "stall period"?  As said above, unless you are strapped for time, just let the egg do it's thing.  All butts are different when cooking "low and slow", but become more standardized when turbo cooking them.
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    First butt already off the egg. Only took 11 1/2 hours. Looked good, smelled good and the thermapen went in like butter. I tried to slow down the cook, but it wasn't enough. So now I'm looking at 8 hours before dinner. Will FTC for a few hours and then pull and put in the fridge.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA