Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Boston Butts

Got three 8-10lb butts on the grill - Is the general rule still 2 hrs per pound for all three added together or just the biggest?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Cooking time is directly related to dome temp so if you are running about the same temp as you have in the past, the multiple butts will cook at about the same rate/# as a stand-alone cook provided there isn't a lot of touching.  The BGE will take a while longer to get restabilized once the meat is added due to the volume of cold food loaded but that's about the only impact.  FWIW, each butt will finish when it wants and the smallest may take the longest.  Best finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean.  Plan long and aim to finish early and use the foil, towel cooler (FTC) to even things out for when you want to pull and eat.  Enjoy the journey. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I cooked 4 7lb butts last weekend. I like my BBQ pulled, so I cooked them to an internal temp of 195 degrees. It took 17 hours at 225 degrees. Bone pulls away and meat years apart. Hope yours turn out well.