Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Go To grate?

Options
So I have my new grill extender from the group buy.  Then I went and got the CI grate I've been wanting.  Do I leave the SG on the SS and just remove the top half when I'm not using it?  Or move the SG to the CI since it won't get used as much either?  But then I have SS and CI when I really don't want that combo.  Do you take the SG off completely and assemble per use?  What to do?  What do ya'll do? 
MBGE in Charleston

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The great grate debate.  :P.  My intention is to leave the swing grate attached to the main grid; and only remove it if I need the space.  For example, if I'm grilling a buncha burgers on the main grid I might remove it before I start. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    The great grate debate.  :P.  My intention is to leave the swing grate attached to the main grid; and only remove it if I need the space.  For example, if I'm grilling a buncha burgers on the main grid I might remove it before I start. 
    Do you have CI?  If you were doing burgers, wouldn't you go CI?  Does everyone grill more or smoke more?  Do you do butts/brisket on CI?
    MBGE in Charleston

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The stock grate is my go-to grate.  I have a few aftermarket Webers but the gauge is a tad thinner.
    Options
    My go to grate is the stainless BGE grid. I purchased a medium BGE grid for my extender. I assemble my grids when I need them but right now they are hanging on the garage wall.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    The BGE stock grate has NEVER been used.  All I use is my CI.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    My "go to" grate is the factory grate, used for indirect cooks at gasket level.image
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    The stock grate is my go-to grate.  I have a few aftermarket Webers but the gauge is a tad thinner.
    +1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use the CI on my mini, small and large and my stainless on the XL. High que had this crazy stainless grate for a large at egging in the mountains 2 years ago that had like half inch bars and I believe it had the fold up edge to add wood. The coolest grate I have seen but it was like $160.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I use nothing but my two tier adjustable swing rack.

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Lit said:
    I use the CI on my mini, small and large and my stainless on the XL. High que had this crazy stainless grate for a large at egging in the mountains 2 years ago that had like half inch bars and I believe it had the fold up edge to add wood. The coolest grate I have seen but it was like $160.
    They still sell it: http://www.high-que.com/Luxury-Cooking-Grid-for-BGE_c_16.html

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Since getting it I use my CI for everything... except brisket.
    My prep for briskets involves setting the SS grate across my stainless steel sink, laying the brisket on it fat-side down, applying the rub, flipping, applying rub to the fat cap, and then carrying it out to the Egg.
    The sink catches the rub "overspray" (most of it anyway) but the reason I use the SS grate is, the CI grate scratches the stainless steel sink!  You probably have to have OCD for this to matter, but it does to me.  

:P

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month