Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoking question / multiple meats

cbr0011cbr0011 Posts: 82

I have the swing grate.  I want to do a brisket(15lbs) and two pork butts(7lb per) this weekend.  I have a LBGE.  I'm thinking of placing the brisket on the bottom and the butts on top.  But because of the place setter the butts will touch the dome of the BGE and the temp probe on top of the BGE may puncture the butt(don't like that).  Is it okay if the butt touched the dome?  Any recommendation for this cook. 

By the way, I don't have any adjustable rig and not going to get one right now, i just have the swing grate.

Thank you

Comments

• ShadowNickShadowNick Posts: 478
    Yes, it's fine. As it cooks and the butts shrink, they will pull away from touching the dome anyway
    Chicago, Illinois
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 3,590
    Pull the dome thermometer out and slide it into a cork and the stick it back in hole. Less will be in the way
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,411
    Chubbs said:
    Pull the dome thermometer out and slide it into a cork and the stick it back in hole. Less will be in the way

I was going to ask about this yesterday as I have the rig entender and food gets pretty high in the dome.So are you saying drill out a cork put theremometer thr back into hole and also use the clamp on the inside right?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 777
    Just be careful that you're not touching the dome too much and choking out the airflow. I've had this happen with turkeys cooked raised before and had to adjust the set-up a bit (glad I had the adjustable rig...). 

B_B
    Badger at heart, living in SoCal

Carlsbad, CA
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,882
    Chubbs said:

I was going to ask about this yesterday as I have the rig entender and food gets pretty high in the dome.So are you saying drill out a cork put theremometer thr back into hole and also use the clamp on the inside right?

Throw the clamp away. You don't need it. Makes it easier to pull it out to calibrate.
    One more question, what about the wood? I use hickory with the butt and mesquite with the brisket, should I mix them? I know your say why mesquite, I love the stuff. I've always had good results.