Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cut notches in the fire ring??

@rjfalski had a post with 4 butts on 2 grids (here is the post).

I noticed that the main grid appears to be sitting a couple of inches below the gasket level and inquired, and he was kind enough to post some pics of his setup. Notice in this pic:

The fire ring has notches so the plate setter sits lower, thus allowing more room above.  I'm intrigued by this as it seems like a great idea.  I haven't seen before, and I wonder if it might be a "custom job".  For all of you that are handier than I- what could one use to cut a fire ring without damaging it.  Jig saw with diamond blade?  

This seems like a cool mod because if you want to go indirect but have more room above you could put it in the notches.  If you want the grid at the gasket level simply rotate the plate setter where it is not in the notches.  

@rjfalski- hope you don't mind the hijack of your pic ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·

Comments

• My fire ring came with the notches.  LBGE purchased 8/2012.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,355

My fire ring came with the notches.  LBGE purchased 8/2012.
    Thanks!  I guess they come that way now.  I suppose another option would be to just go buy a new fire ring ;).  I might swing by my dealer and see if they have any. 

I also just re-found the post where @Lit used a dremmel to cut notches in the mini ring for the new mini plate setter.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,924
    never seen that before, almost think it would be more prone to cracking with those square cutouts
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    They're the slots for the place setter. I bought my XL in December.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,355
    A little internet sleuthing...this changed in Fall of 2012.  Ceramic grill works mentions it here:

My ring is the old type with the "dimples". 

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    Angle grinder with a cut blade

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,150
    never seen that before, almost think it would be more prone to cracking with those square cutouts
    At least it the modification is under warranty.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,831
    I think the setter will fit into the notches either legs up or legs down, this gives a different level to the grid, stone whatever. Noticed this on Jim's pics when he got his new LBGE, @jfm0830. ;

I think he said the ring will also go in notches up or down. 

Great improvement. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Mine is the new style. Skiddymarker is correct. It will set in the notches either way.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·