Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small leak?

Options
Hey all ,so I realigned my dome today as I had a small underbite in the front of the egg.Thats now fixed And the dollar bill test is great all around the egg except for in the very back where I get very little resistance with the bill and I see a trickle of smoke seeping out in the very back.Is this an problem and can I just leave it? Really don't want to mess with the bolts again!!!

Thanks.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it.  Lots of guys don"t even have gaskets.
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    So when you go gasketless is there much smoke leak??

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2013
    Options

Smoke (hot air with particulates) takes the path of least resistance....if you're one of them folks that never uses the DFMT, it doesn't really leak out the joint, just goes out the top.  If you're controlling your fire with the DFMT, it can be visible out the joint because you created backpressure. 
    edited June 2013
    Options

Smoke (hot air with particulates) takes the path of least resistance....if you're one of them folks that never uses the DFMT, it doesn't really leak out the joint, just goes out the top.  If you're controlling your fire with the DFMT, it can be visible out the joint because you created backpressure. 

So true Nola, I didnt see any leak from the gasket until I put the daisy wheel on and it was a small amount at that.Gonna let it ride for now and hopefully it doesnt affect anything or get worse..

Damn I hate buying new things... your so freakin particular bout the smallest things in the beginning...the novelty should wear of by the end of the week.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It doesn't matter at all. Makes no real difference.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    Options

Damn I hate buying new things... your so freakin particular bout the smallest things in the beginning...the novelty should wear of by the end of the week.

I did the same thing except mine was that the firebox wobbled.  It still wobbles but I no longer care. 
    Columbia, SC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Sounds like "no big deal" but there are a couple of things to assess-can you hold the low&slow temps you want (regardless of vent/DFMT settings) and do you get a good shutdown of the BGE when you install the ceramic top (lump conservation).  If you have no issues with those events then "no worries".  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Would a high temp cook fry the gasket in that area being as how the heat is getting through it? Mine didn't pass the dollar bill test and I just loosened the top ring and it fell flat then I tightened it back up.
    NW IOWA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    Would a high temp cook fry the gasket in that area being as how the heat is getting through it? Mine didn't pass the dollar bill test and I just loosened the top ring and it fell flat then I tightened it back up.
    Potentially, especially if you cooked hot (like pizza) with the legs on the plate setter down.  The hot air gets deflected into the gasket area, and it would fail faster if there were a leak.
    Options
    There is a link to a video on here somewhere that would help you correct that problem. Maybe someone will come along and provide a link to it later
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Canman you need to "get your drink on" my friend. Stop thinking! Right now! Now don't you feel better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Haven't had gaskets on my Eggs for a year and a half.  Scrapped them smooth and reset the dome.  I can hold 180 reliably for hot smoked salmon with proper set up, and mid 200s for pulled pork or ribs are no problem at all.  It leaks smoke a bit worse when a probe is in because of the wire.  Only issue you will have is a dirty, dirty dome where ever the smoke comes out.  On the other hand a clean Egg isn't getting used enough.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm Gonna forget about it as its only minor and possibly coming from the gasket seam thats back there anyhow? See how it goes over the next few cooks...come on  long week-end!!!