Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

(OT) Think you had a "Monday?"

Just for perspective sake... Made me thankful, prayerful, reflective today.

Long Story short, MIL woke up middle of the night and couldn't fully breathe. Took an aspirin, dialed 911.

In the ER they suspect heart attack. This afternoon she goes in for an angioplasty (sp?), doc says she has clots in multiple areas of her body which he can't deal with, however, 5 of the 8 arteries need to be bypassed which he can address. Her diabetes is out of control, and her cholesterol is through the roof. Her body is apparently trying to reroute the blood supply somehow (which apparently is very rare?).

Anyway, doc says she is "luck" (or as I would call it "blessed") to have a had a minor heart attack. She had no idea she had heart issues.

We are thankful she is still with us.

She will go in for surger later this week, probably be out of work for at least 2 months.

My wife, Amy, her dad also had a heart attack about 5 years ago, needed 6 arteries bypassed.

All that to say, never know what tomorrow will bring.

Peace out yo!

JT

·

Comments

• mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    Wow. I hope all goes well for your MIL. That's scary stuff.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,918
    It's not often we're thankful to have a heart attack, but that appears to be the case here. Best of luck to your family during her path to recovery JT!
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    edited June 2013
    Hope all goes well for your MIL. You just never know what tomorrow will bring. Enjoy today. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Wishing for the best for your family.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    A stroke of good luck.  Hope all goes well.

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    Prayers for your family...

Wake up call for everyone to get a check up and screened... Everyone should know what there basic blood numbers are
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,290
    Sounds like she has the trifecta for cardiovascular disease. Many life changes coming. Collateral circulation formed through angiogenesis is a late stage sign of long-term disease. Hopefully this will be her wakeup call. Your wife as well, since she now has 2 first degree relatives with disease.

Good luck! Make sure there are plenty of pictures with the grandkids around the bedside.
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Prayers your way JT!!
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Good thought going your way.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Thank you for sharing, I was just moaning to my family about my day at work ... shutting up now.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 560
    Praying for your MIL JT. Thanks for putting some perspective on things.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • yellowdogbbqyellowdogbbq Posts: 372
    Prayers for you and your family. 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,942
    Prayers and happy thoughts sent your family's way.

Not knowing anything else, getting her diabetes under control is likely the single best thing your MIL can do for her organ systems and her loved ones.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,384
    Prayers from NC for you all
    Greensboro, NC
    ·