Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mexican Salsa

Homemade grilled salsa on large Egg. Grill a few minutes to get that great smokey flavor then blend or chop it all up. Recipe: Six tomatoes, one yellow onion, 3 Serrano chilies (seeds left in), four cloves garlic, chopped cilantro and salt to taste. Entire process took about 45 minutes and costs pennies to make. Knock your socks off good!! (I use a piece of foil with holes poked in it placed on the grate to keep the food from falling through the grate)
1.JPG 669.9K
2.JPG 797.6K

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 831
    As opposed to German Salsa or English Salsa?
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,240
    Love grilling the veggies for salsa. Have you ever done "caveman" style and dropped them right on the coals?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Nope....never tried the caveman style, but I've read a lot about it.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,829
    Made this yesterday as well but added some Jalepeno's - HOT STUFF - Forget the store stuff. Homemade roasted is the only way to go now.

Why do Jalepenos get 10x hotter when you grill them?

LBGE, Adjustable Rig, Spider, High-Que grate, maverick ET-732, Thermapen,

Garnerville, NY
  • SoCalWJSSoCalWJS Posts: 298
    Sounds spicy - 3 Serranos with seeds?

I've smoked tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and onions prior to making salsa, but never grilled them. Have to give it a shot.

My experience has been that smoking jalapenos makes them milder (like ABT;s). Not sure on grilling.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,829
    Jalepenos stuffed with cheese get milder for me as well but every time I grill them they are dangerous.

LBGE, Adjustable Rig, Spider, High-Que grate, maverick ET-732, Thermapen,

Garnerville, NY
  • Yes, three peppers WITH seeds makes it pretty hot. You could always start with one and add from there. Can always add, but can't take away......
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 427
    Great looking and I am sure super tasty salsa.  

Nice job and thanks for the recipe.

Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,978
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180
    Thanks for sharing! Looks great and I WILL be making this soon :D
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,915
    @brian95008... looks great. I wonder if this would work for guac?
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Aurora, Ontario, Canada