Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Blues Hog Chicken

cazzycazzy Posts: 7,965
I have been wanting to try Cen-Tex's approach to chicken, so I gave it a whirl.  Chicken was awesome, but skin continues to be my kryptonite.

Chicken chilling after the herb brine.

My alcoholic beverage for 2013.  As you can see, I don't even have cool drinking glasses like @haptster, so it's obvious I rarely drink.

Chicken was roasted raised direct at 350 with cherry wood.  Seasoned with DP Tsunami Spin and finished with Blues Hog Original.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
·

Comments

• ooooh Russian Standard. If you are going to drink, might as well make it the good stuff. That's my favorite.

Try a little dusting of corn starch on the skin next time. Really crisps it up nicely. Yours looks different than mine. I think I let the sauce caramelize a little more. It ends up dark and sticky.

I think your skin on the egg looks really good. What was wrong with it? I put the BH over that and let it really get sticky before pulling it off.

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,450
    Looks pretty good from my seat @cazzy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Beautiful
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • and I do 350 indirect

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,265
    Looks terrific, nice job on the sides.  Skin looks fine to me, cherry adds color.

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,965
    edited June 2013
    ooooh Russian Standard. If you are going to drink, might as well make it the good stuff. That's my favorite.

Try a little dusting of corn starch on the skin next time. Really crisps it up nicely. Yours looks different than mine. I think I let the sauce caramelize a little more. It ends up dark and sticky.

I think your skin on the egg looks really good. What was wrong with it? I put the BH over that and let it really get sticky before pulling it off.

I had no f'n clue if it was good or not so I'm happy to hear it has your approval!  I bought it two years ago and the guy at Costco recommended it.  It was on sale too.  :)

Good tips!  I will try the cornstarch next time.  It curled up, was chewy and was really really dark.  I will leave on the blues hog longer next time too.
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 560
    What about the skin did you not like? Looks good to me @cazzy
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
    and I do 350 indirect

OK, will do that next time!
    ·
    edited June 2013
    Just in case you didn't notice, the plated picture is without the skin.  
    ·
  • cazzy said:
    ooooh Russian Standard. If you are going to drink, might as well make it the good stuff. That's my favorite.

I had no f'n clue if it was good or not so I'm happy to hear it has your approval!  I bought it two years ago and the guy at Costco recommended it.  It was on sale too.  :)

Good tips!  I will try the cornstarch next time.  It curled up, was chewy and was really really dark.  I will leave on the blues hog longer next time too.
    mine looks just like your pic on the egg. Then I glaze it. try the corn starch- it looks really good to me but if it was chewy, the cornstarch will really crisp it up.

·
    ·
    I guess I'm a visual person and didn't like the way the skin pulled back.  I remember yours looking much better.
    ·
  • wow- definitely looks different than mine. I do indirect and I do corn starch. maybe that's the diff? I didn't even dry mine last time after the brine and it sill crisped up.

·

wow- definitely looks different than mine. I do indirect and I do corn starch. maybe that's the diff? I didn't even dry mine last time after the brine and it sill crisped up.

I just pulled off my spatch for my dinner project and it looked much better. Go figure
    ·
  • Cool. This is what mine look like. Try indirect next time. See if that helps.

imageimage

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,436
    edited June 2013
    Get you fire to 400 and skin will be fine.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    cazzy said:
    I have been wanting to try Cen-Tex's approach to chicken, so I gave it a whirl.  Chicken was awesome, but skin continues to be my kryptonite.

My alcoholic beverage for 2013.  As you can see, I don't even have cool drinking glasses like @haptster, so it's obvious I rarely drink.

Chicken was roasted raised direct at 350 with cherry wood.  Seasoned with DP Tsunami Spin and finished with Blues Hog Original.

@Cazzy - I used to live in the former Soviet republic of Georgia. When we wanted to go "upscale" we had Russian Standard vodka as shown in you pic. For value and taste, I I still think it is superb vodka. Had some this evening. 
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • Springram said:
    cazzy said:

@Cazzy - I used to live in the former Soviet republic of Georgia. When we wanted to go "upscale" we had Russian Standard vodka as shown in you pic. For value and taste, I I still think it is superb vodka. Had some this evening. 
    love the Russian Standard

·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,656
    edited June 2013
    +1 with @Mickey

I always do my chicken breasts and wings indirect @ 400F-475F and always have crispy skin.

When we use sauce, we add it in the last 20-25 minutes of the cook.

@cazzy, looks great. Since you're in SA, if you have the chance, try the local stuff, grab some Enchanted Rock... very smooth.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,277
    Got my Elster package from Travis today. Can't wait to try blues hog
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·