Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid size for raised grid?

Options
What is a good size grid to purchase to do a raised grid cook on an XL?  I will be using fire bricks to elevate the grid.  About 5" maybe?  Want to try it a couple of times before buying from CGW or BGE to see if we like the outcome.  I do have another use for the grid later.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Just measure up inside your dome five inches, then measure across to the other side at that same heigth --  re: the diameter across at that heigth.  That will give you the maximum diameter the grid can be so that the dome will close.  Reduce this by at least an inch to give yourself some room for error.  Buy a cheap Weber replacement grid from Home Depot for less than twenty bucks....  See if you really need it -- it'll last you a few years..
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I just tested a couple of grid sizes at 5" raised on a platesetter using the group buy grid extender. A 22.5" Weber grid works but with very little room to spare. You pretty much have to have it in the exact perfect spot or it contacts the dome.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I will be using a 20" grid (from the BGE two-tier accessory) which gives more room for error and is a little heavier duty (less sag if used on the grid extender but not a big deal on top of cans) than the Weber grid. Finding a 20" grid is a little harder and cost will be greater.

Probably the lowest cost, most easily accessible option would be an 18" Weber grid.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA