Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"00" Flour Learning Experience

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035

Bought some Antico Molino Caputo "00" flour from Amazon to continue my quest to eat as much good pizza in this life as possible.

Made the dough per their specs exactly, 500g flour-325g water-10g salt-3g yeast -- using the digital scale to make sure I got it right. Let the dough rest in the fridge overnight to develop flavor.

I was really suprised at the difference in texture from my usual dough. I expected it to be different but was really blown away by how delicate it was. I think I let it warm up too much from the fridge before forming it into pizzas as it was literally falling apart in my hands.

The big mistake I made was adding WAY too many toppings. The dough is so light it just can't support the piles of meat/veggies/cheese that I normally add. I guess that's the reason authentic Neopolitan pizza is very simple. Lesson Learned.

I did feel that it handled the high heat (700 dome) much better than my normal dough and there was no doubt that it tasted marvellous, really really light and flavorful. Even the 5 year olds noticed the difference.  

The tomato/basil/mozzarella and the capicolla/kalamata olive/tomato were standouts as they were not overloaded with toppings.

I know, I know.....no pics means it did not happen. But there were 6 kids under the age of 11 running about my house last night (my 3 plus neighbors 3 that we were watching for a few hours) and after a long day of yard work (and a bottle of Tuscan Barolo) it never occurred to me to take pics. I'll do better next time.  

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    Great post. I have some OO flour in the pantry and was going to try this soon. So, I will retread this again when I try it.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options
    Thanks for the post.  I too have some Caputo 00 flour just waiting to be made in to dough.  I've been reading Jeff Varasano's website on this style crust.  Agree on the less is more with toppings.  Looking forward to your next pizza cook with pictures 
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Sorry I had to refresh my drink.  I'm curious on how long you let your dough warm/proof after removing from the cold rise in the fridge?  How do you mix your dough, by hand or with a machine.  Some of the YouTube videos I've watched, the makers toss the dough fairly aggressively but also mention window pane centers that are nearly transparent.  Again thanks for the post

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    I have been using 00 flour with dough recipes from Flour Water Salt Yeast and getting very good results. Noticeably different texture and IMO easier to work with.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Mixed in the Kitchen Aid mixer with dough hook. 2 minutes solw speed, 10 minute rest, 5 minutes on medium speed. Let rise for 2 hours then form into balls and stow in fridge.

By the time I got Egg hot enough and toppings prepped the dough had been out of the fridge almost 2 hours.

Next time will let it warm up only one hour and take care to limit toppings. I'll give it a go again soon because the flavor and texture were superior. Worth the indulgence IMO

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Have to look into that flour. I'm wondering if the ratios you provide would work with other flour types?
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    65% hydration is perfect for Tipo.  I just used up the last of my 22 pound supply and ordered another from Amazon.  Shipped, it's just over $2/pound.
    Options
    00 flour is not for heavy pies.  Use King Arthur for those.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!