Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Meatloaf

I just made Alton Browns smoked meatloaf, but subbed 2 pounds venison instead of beef. It came out terrible. Well it tasted great, but the texture was god awful. But I guess it didn't happen since there aren't any pictures. Tank goodness
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I had the same experience with "ground chuck mixed with pork!".  My problem was that it was way oversmoked.  The smoke taste over burdened the actual taste of the meat.  Had to throw the entire meatloaf in the garbage!!  Any kind of ground meat will absorb smoke taste more than whole meat products.  The smoke taste of the lump alone id enough for me when i cook meatloaf.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Agree with @Charlie on this one.  In fact when cooking ground meat, especially something that sits on the grill as long as a meatloaf, is really the only time I prefer wood chips to chunks.  Just a few chips on the fire right after you put the meatloaf on is all the smoke you will need if you want to add to the lump smoke.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Oh it tasted fabulous. But the texture screwed everything up. If I made it with beef and turkey last the last one, I think it would be perfect. The last one I did with beef and turkey was great, and would even better flavored like this one.
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    The venison was more than likely a leaner mix than the typical ground beef expected in that recipe.  My family used to only eat deer and fish we caught, dad was a big sportsman, would still do the same just don't have the time right now. 

I haven't done a smoked meatloaf yet, long as it tasted good couldn't be that bad right!??

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    I've done meatloaf on the egg several times. Ground chuck, ground venison, and combinations of the two. Have also done both with ground pork. I use no wood, only the lump. I also set mine on a shallow foil pan with lots of holes. Normaly go 350 indirect. Never a problem with taste or texture.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I've done meatloaf a few times in hte egg and have been very happy with the results. But I have never smoked it, just do like I would in the oven, indirect, ~350.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • tamu2009
    I wonder if the low temp was the culprit then. The first one I did was around 350. I did this one around 250.

@MCN. You're right. At least it didn't taste terrible AND have a crappy texture.
  • Charlie tuna
    Are you saying it didn't slice right?  If it tasted good, who cares, eat it like pulled pork !! :D
  • nolenut19
    nolenut19 Posts: 76
    I've done 3 loafs and while the taste is good the texture not so much. Thought it was just me.
  • tamu2009
    Part if it fell apart and crumbled and other parts of it were stringy and chewy
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't think the texture would have improved if it were done in the oven, unless you overcooked it.
    Maybe not enough "binding" materials in that recipe to hopld th meat together, and i would think ground venison might dry out.  Most people i know combine the use of ground venison along with ground pork?  Many meatloaf recipes have both eggs and bread crumbs to hold it together??
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    Here's how I do it. The recipe is in the thread bout half way down. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150099/al-s-egged-meatloaf#latest

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, the starch in the bread crumbs combines with water and fat to make a binder.  The egg helps, but you don't want too much egg or it gets too dense...you want it to be fluffy.  shtgunal3's recipe looks like the right ratio.
    I had 2 pounds venison 1 pound pork with 3 eggs and about 8 ounces of BBQ Potato Chips that I threw in the processor.
  • Charlie tuna
    I don't shoot the deer, only feed them!  So venison doesn't see much of my egg.  But from my many friends(hunters) venison needs to be cooked correctly.  I understand the meat is very healthy, when cooked correctly!  Doe with her two offspring.  She lives here on our property.image
  • tamu2009
    Have gun, will travel. ;)