Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Weber Question

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
Sorry...

I will be at Mom's for a couple of weeks and no way to bring my egg. She has an old Weber Kettle that looks like this. If any of you still have one, could you please let me know the diameter of the holes in the bottom vents? Thanks very much!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Are you sure that is a Webber or was this something your Mom found in her back yard back in the 50's? Looks like something the Soviets sent into space that they called "Sputnik".

What is the purpose of the three pipes?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    That's the bottom half of the Weber laying upside down.  The three "pipes" are where the legs go.  I don't know the diameter of the vents - but they are somewhere in the 1/2" to 3/4" range. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    The holes in the bottom vents are 3/4" in diameter.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    R2, thank you!!! I bought this little gadget (from BBQ Guru last winter just to play with on my old kettle, with cooking at Mom's in mind. It's just a sleeve with an air deflector on the inside of the kettle. Screws together hand tight. Then stick the guru fan in it. Cooked a butt with it and it was as good as any I've done - but it was an adventure, Requires that you drill a 1" hole in the can. I could drill her's, but will see if it will work with 3/4" before I do.
    Mom will be 97 on the 4th and doesn't get out much these days. Loves Q though so I'm going to try again. Weather will be warm and hopefully it won't be as windy as when I tried it before.
    Thanks again for the measurement!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    You're welcome. I bought one of the old kettles a couple of years ago just to use the lid on my drum smoker and still have the old base laying around.

I did a quick search on the Pit Viper adapter and found a post on the Brethren site that you might find interesting: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106640. Looks like your adapter should work on your Mom's kettle but not sure how flush it'll be. Further down the thread you'll see some pics of another solution for plugging/covering the other holes on the vent.

Good luck!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA