Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pizza Temp Help Now

I have been on the forum and time got away from me. SWMBO getting hungry and cranky.  I will cook on a preheated stone - How hot? My first attempt.  Thanks, Folks.. Hope I survive tonight otherwise I have a date with a Coors Light.
Milton, GA.

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,048
    I like 475-500°, platesetter legs down, spacers (I usually do 3-4") then the stone. Let it all come up to temp together. Mine looks like this, but a coupla bricks would work.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • all depends on the dough. I cooked with a store bought fresh dough at my neighbor's last night and burned the first 2 at 500. Totally raw on top, scorched on the bottom. We figured it out but we cook ours at 600 and it never burns. I'd start at 500. it's a lot easier to go up than down

edited June 2013
    Btw, it doesn't HAVE to be that high in the dome, that's just my preference. Also, leave the DFMT off so you can keep an eye on the pie. Control temp with bottom vent only. Just don't stick your head directly over the top vent. :) mine are usually done in 8-10 minutes. YMMV. Good luck.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,550
    I have better luck with everything high up in the dome like Carolina_Q.

• flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 544
    Thanks, I will go with 5 hundy.  Will post pics if I am still alive. I owe you some beers.....
    Milton, GA.
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    "SWMBO getting hungry and cranky."  Why do you get yourself under such extream pressure?  Before this type pressure begins, everyone here knows where the local restaurants are located.  One of the biggest issues is to have your egg stabilized so the pizza will see a high temperature furing a very short cooking time.  Pizzas cook in eight to twelve minutes.  If your egg isn't stabilized it will be in a 300 to 400 degree enviroment while the unstabilized egg trys to regain it's original temperature.  What can occur, is the top might cook, and the dough is soft and doughy!!   
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 544
    Update.. I guess that I live on the edge. I thought that I would look up some pizza recipes on the forum but got distracted reading all of the other stuff.  The egg was hot and ready but I wasn't sure of the temp.  I was going to go with 700 but backed it down to 500.  Everything came out great.  One white and one red. Everyone was very happy and I owe you guys.....
    031.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
    037.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
    Milton, GA.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 9,202
    Cackalacky Q, I sure am glad you started hanging out over here.
    Cackalacky Q, I sure am glad you started hanging out over here.
    Man, that word's a new one on me. In the several years I lived there and all my visits since then, never once did I hear it! Had to look it up. Thanks... I think.  :)

Been here since day 1 (or maybe it was week 1). Anyway, since early on. Just never came here much.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut