Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cheap Raised Grid

GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,037
What are my options for a cheap quick method for raising the grid? I am prolly going to spring for the A/R from CGS; but what options do I have in the mean time? 

Damn, I have spend so much $$ to enhance my egging experience, I need some cheaper alternatives. I don't want to think about how much I have spend since purchasing my egg on May 23 2013. The XL Egg, Challenger cart, CI 1/2 grid ash tool, ash pan. grid gripper etc. 

IM BROKE!!!!  Its really a shame!!!! LOL 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
XL BGE 
Joe JR 
Reisterstown, MD
·

Comments

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,976
    edited June 2013
    A replacement weber grate and 4 beer cans...PBR tall boys :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    How much do you want to raise it? You can raise it up to the gasket level with bricks (I've used 3 small paver stones) or a little higher with 3 empty beer cans. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    5" bolts and washers - I used that until I got the AR this week.

Home depot:
    I bought a 18" weber grate, use this as a lower grate..
    4 5" bolts with washers to put on the factory grate edges
    13"  brinkmann grill stone to put on the lower grate for indirect setup.

It's a PITA, but works.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,037
    @sumoconnell - Do you have any pics? 

Pics anyone? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    Type this into Google search and then go to the images:

big green egg raised grid bolts
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    My old setup is here.. about 1/2 way down.   I used bolts that were too short. (and it looks like my stone is 15")

Here is a dude..
    http://winnipeggheads.com/2013/02/18/how-to-make-a-home-made-raised-grid-for-a-large-big-green-egg/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,976
    How much do you want to raise it? You can raise it up to the gasket level with bricks (I've used 3 small paver stones) or a little higher with 3 empty beer cans. 
    ...and a little higher with 3 PBR tallboys ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • BustersdadBustersdad Posts: 215
    I use fireplace bricks
    ·