Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tieing a Butt

I have two boneless butts from Costco. They are both "lose" on one end, doi I need to tie these for smoking?
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,442
    Never have done it but good question.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,598
    I don't know if it is a necessity, but I tied them when I did Costco boneless at the suggestion of a friend.  If you have butchers twine handy I would tie them...can't hurt anything.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,302
    I exclusively use Costco butts and have never tied them. There is no need.When you place it on the grid, maintain the "shape" the butt came in when cryovaced and put the loose end on the bottom.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,628
    I am doing two right now from Costco, they were loose at the end as well but I put them in my rib rack which holds them together so I don't tie them. I have done numerous like this and they turn out great.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I never have tied them, and i think it exposes more meat for bark, for those who love "bark"..
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,084
    I tie, but then I seem to have a thing about tying things up... 
    Done it both ways, but a tied butt seems to hold whatever I inject a bit better, and it is easier to lift and move the butt around. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,140
    i tuck the loose end under but my brother will open it splayed flat, he puts the inside cut part on top and it seems to pool up and hold more rub and it cooks in half the time. it seems to work well and ive seen him light the egg at 9 am, throw a 7 pounder on and we are eating before 2
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,745
    +1 for alot of you, i dont tie the butt's from costco.
    ·
  • lewisj82lewisj82 Posts: 61
    I tied the ones I did about a month ago. They had pieces hanging at the end, and contrary to when I cook a brisket, I didn't want the burnt pieces. I tied them up and they did fine. I would say if there is nothing really loose hanging on the end there not to worry about it.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,626
    I don't tie, either, but using the rack looks like a very good idea.  I'm gonna try it next time.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·