Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket Travis Style Question

I am planning on making my first brisket-Travis style, this weekend. I have read the original post. Has anyone tweaked the recipe/method? What do you do with the pan of liquid afterwards?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• fiver29fiver29 Posts: 628
    Is there a link to Travis style brisket? Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,625
    :ar!
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,975
    Mickey said:

:ar!

Yes

:((
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 430
    The original method has been great for me on smaller briskets. If he has tweaked it, I too would love to know.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 670
    Here's the link http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1 Only tweaks I have done is to use beef stock instead of Allegro as I can't find it here in Chicago. As for the liquid, I separate the fat and mix some of it in with bottled sauce for the sauce for the brisket. One more thing. His recipe says Packer but this method is outstanding if you are only cooking a flat.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 430
    @BuckeyeBob,

I use the Allegro Original instead of the hot and spicy version due the fact that my wife thinks mayonnaise is spicy. :<)  I would think the beef broth would work great. Your idea of defatting the liquid and mixing it with a BBQ sauce sounds very interesting. I too have use it for a flat or too and get great moist results.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,625

You just had to have been at this meeting. This was on the table.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1153447/we-had-a-meeting-to-decide-what-to-do#latest

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).