Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
BBQJDUB
BBQJDUB Posts: 47
Hello everyone!  

This is Boston Butt #1 for me.  It was about 5.5 lbs.  I want to thank everyone for the advice on many of the posts in this forum.  Building the proper fire was critical.  I initially had the egg temp up to about 255 or so but after almost closing everything, I got her down to about 220 or so.  I love to cook on this thing!  I used Jack Daniels rub but I want to come up with my own the next time.  It seemed a little too salty.  I went 9 hours and had to pull her before the family killed me.  That part was on me and not the egg.  The butt wasn't dry and everyone loved it.  The last 30 or so I went up to 300ish.  I was in the stall for a while and didn't make any changes, just let it roll through it.  I needed another hour to get to 190 but it was 180 when I took it off.  I let it rest for about 30 and then we cut into it.  I went with Hickory chunk right on top and the smoke flavor definitely came through.  Sorry this is a rambling mess but I'm very excited for first one.

BBQJDUB 
BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC

Comments